26

Kai's POV

Coven gatherings made me homicidal.

My psyche had been through a lot, from the toll it took in solitary confinement to the disruptive transformation it underwent after I leeched my little brother's magic and soul. I was a changed man. A sociopath in the past tense. But murder absolutely still had its appeal, even to this new, slightly more empathetic me. Right now, I was mentally categorizing a pros and cons list for enacting the terrible act on the witches I was stuck in a huddle with.

"Now, if you go and talk to folks from those hippy covens up in the mountains, get ready for a lecture about how nature is all you need." The man cackled, joined by the titters of other witches listening intently. My mouth didn't so much as twitch. "Someone oughta go up there and introduce them to modernity. They think they're so much more in touch with their magic than people like us. Well, I'll tell you what, at least I've got an actual goddamned toilet in my house."

"Nobody's ever told them they could have the best of both worlds," a woman said pityingly. "Sad, really."

My eyes rolled up to the high ceilings. I perked up a little when I imagined magically loosening the fancy light fixtures above us so this insufferable group could be crushed by the utilities they claimed to love so much. Would be an appropriate way for them to go out, wouldn't it?

"Is there something you want to add to the conversation, Malachai?" The older man, who'd been monopolizing the stale conversation, addressed me. I was pretty sure his name was Philip. "Looks like it."

I took in a quick breath, like I was surprised. "Oh, are you done listening to the sound of your own voice now? I didn't think you were taking any new participants. Silly me." His face flushed, either with anger or embarrassment, and I continued. "But no. I'm sure you've heard that Geminis are a group that like to build power and energy, not waste it. Same philosophy applies to this conversation."

Everyone looked at me sharply, not taking too kindly to the offense. As if they weren't cackling away moments ago at the expense of witches whose lifestyles differed from theirs. Oh, well. Shouldn't dish it out if you can't take it.

"This is your first Solstice as the leader of that coven, isn't it?" Philip retorted. "Maybe you should be aiming for kindness toward your associates, instead of antagonizing them."

"I should, shouldn't I?" I frowned, pretending to take his advice seriously. "Hmm. Maybe I'll start with introducing myself to those witches in the mountains. For an ice breaker, I could ask them what they think of warlocks with uneven mustaches who brag about their bathroom utilities."

Philip's hand shot up to said mustache and scowled.

"Now, that was simply rude," one of the women in the group backed up the speechless warlock. I looked at her.

"Yeah? Maybe it's nerves. First solstice and all that." I waved my hands carelessly. "Got me acting funny. Like right now, I'm hanging with a bunch of bigots instead of tucking into a big plate of that fine Atlantic salmon."

Their mouths collectively dropped and I took that as my glorious cue to finally leave the group.

"Nice meeting you guys. You especially, Philip."

"My name is Frank!" He barked after I'd already turned my back.

The Winter Solstice was going spectacularly.