29

Kai held the phone to his ear, leaning against the wall with a look that I thought could possibly kill.

We landed in Whitmore, Virginia a little over an hour ago and had since hitched a ride to the smaller town of Mystic Falls. Kai's grumpiness had only heightened within the town limits, but I was finding the supernaturally ridden town to be kind of adorable. Its small shops, lack of major fast food chains, and handwritten signs were quaint–a trait I never got to personally appreciate, growing up in a major California city.

A light snow swirled down to the streets. In tandem with the holiday decorations that shop owners probably wouldn't bother to take down until after New Year's, and it was a stunning sight to behold.

I pulled my maroon hat down further over my cold ears and watched the stream of frosty air that my exhale produced. I felt like a true west coaster, giddy over the snow that locals grumbled over on their ways to work. But I couldn't enjoy the delightful weather in bliss, seeing as Kai was having a hostile conversation with Joshua over the phone.

"My fucking problem, Josh, is that I made it pretty clear Edgar runs the meetings when I'm not in town. Not you, not Julius, not Charles. Edgar. And if he can't, then Agnes runs her show. So, what's this I'm hearing about you butting in during yesterday's convening, trying to strong arm your way into the supervisor role?"

I raised an eyebrow at him, slowly bringing the rim of my hot chocolate to my lips. He shook his head at me, mouthing, "I'm gonna kill him."

"Do it discreetly," I whispered.

His lip twitched into a barely there smile, but it didn't last long, as he listened to whatever spiel his father was offering.

"Annnd you're changing the subject," Kai deadpanned. "Yes, I said I was in Virginia, why does that–what? No." He listened with a clenched jaw. "Because I'm here on time-sensitive business, not to gather up a little family reunion for the holidays. Jesus. You're not fooling anyone with that, you know. Since they left the coven, you hardly contact them either."

Family drama. Was totally not my business, but seeing as there was no way not to eavesdrop, I settled for pretending to admire the snowy street.

"No, you don't need to tell the coven anything, I've already filled in Edgar and Agnes. Eva and I will be back once we track down the artifact." Another pause. "Even if I tell her you said that, she'll still find you repulsive. Do you know that? Or are we still gonna pretend like you're not at the top of her shit list?"

My eyes darted back to Kai. He was nodding, a touch smug. "Exactly. Glad old age hasn't completely addled your brain. Don't call me again unless it's a coven emergency."

He hung up, stowing his phone in his pocket.

"So, what was that about?"

"My father overstepping his role in the coven, as usual. Oh, and he tried to send you his best regards."

I grimaced, as if the hot chocolate I was drinking was made with spoiled milk.

"Precisely the reaction I said you'd have." He grinned, his earlier irritation dissipating. "Anyway," he stole my cup of hot chocolate to take a sip, ignoring my glare, "will you be my dinner date tonight?"

I blinked. "Your dinner date? What makes it a date now if we were gonna end up eating the meal together anyway?"

"There goes my attempt to charm." He rolled his eyes. "Fine, will you accompany me to the meal that we're inevitably going to share? This town's painfully mediocre diner is as good a place as any to figure out where our search for the artifact should begin."