31

The image of Kai and I now–breathless, stunned into silence, eyes glued to the broken pieces of the ascendant–would serve as a cautionary tale to young witches one day.

This is what happens when you ally yourself with vampires, children, the ominous storyteller would utter in an over-the-top spooky cadence, to a horde of fearfully attentive little sorcerers. Carry yourself with stronger wits than those of Malachai Parker and Eva Rodriguez, lest you share their fate.

The sensible, semi-productive part of me that didn't undervalue the importance of damage control had yet to kick in. I felt like I'd stepped outside of myself, pitifully gazing upon this bleeding Luna witch that had lacked the foresight to snap Lily Salvatore's neck–just for the duration the journey home. My brain preferred to make me review the mental list of everything I could've done differently, all the ways I could have prevented this, before it would be kind enough to surface any helpful course of action.

The dismantled ascendant wasn't a pretty sight. But looking at Kai hurt worse. He hadn't uttered a word, either, since our so-called companions took off with an almighty quickness. I kind of wanted him to curse into the approaching night, or break something, even yell at me, if he needed to. But the sting of this immeasurable silence was on par with that of Lily's fangs, which had sunk deeply into my shoulder and left behind a sharp ache.

He sank against the trunk of a tree like he could no longer bear his own weight and I peeked at him, wondering if he was on the verge of breaking. And if I would follow suit in that descent into madness.

Kai and I had been abandoned in a prison world populated by notoriously murderous Heretics.

Both of us, supremely fucked over for entirely different reasons. I was sharing a realm with the same species that took my father from me and Kai was facing what I knew was a nightmare he thought he'd permanently clawed himself out of. Because he stepped out of the light to help me.

"You should've left me here," I broke the silence feebly, pressing a hand against the skin Lily tore.

Kai sharply inhaled and I was grateful to hear something from the witch. "How hard did you hit your head when the Ripper tackled you?"

"I mean, you should have just gone with them. It would've been temporary. I know you would have come back for me, but as for them..." I frowned. "I'm not sure. Bonnie, at least, seems more decent than the rest of them, but–Kai, I don't–"

"I would never," The low anger in his voice made my head dart toward him in bewilderment. "Leave you here. Wasn't a fucking option."

I faltered under his searing gaze and hefty conviction. "It would've only been for–"

"I don't care if we're talking five minutes or five months, Eva. Never."

He genuinely seemed upset with me for even considering it, despite the fact that the hypothetical alternate outcome held no weight now. Our fates had been tied together in this moment regardless.

Although hypotheticals barely held a candle to the overwhelming intensity of a moment ruled by real time, I knew I would've done the same for Kai. Partners had each other's backs, sure, but it wasn't just that arbitrary sense of obligation keeping me anchored to him. It was a mixture of emotions more complex than even the most convoluted witch's brew.

"Well, then..." I sighed, drawing my knees up to my chest and wincing at the movement. "I'm sorry. I'm..." My face crumpled. "I'm really sorry. I should've sensed her coming sooner. She should be the one stranded in this prison world, not us."