1

"No. Way."

I shut down the offer before my mother could even try to get the rest of the sentence out, because the beginning alone was enough to have my guard all the way up and I refused to be broken down. Even by Amy Rodriguez's pleading puppy eyes. God, I should've been the one who picked up on that technique to use to my favor, like any normal daughter who aims to get what she wants. But no, my mom was the one in this household who is notorious for pulling out that look when we initially refuse to do what she asked of us.

It's a technique she only started using recently, since there had obviously been a time when we were still young and "because I'm your mother and I said so" sufficed as incentive for us to do what she told us to. Now, it's not that simple, since my brother and I are in our early twenties, living separately from our parents. My mom had to get creative.

And rightfully so, due to the utter ridiculousness of the question she was about to ask before I cut her off with a quick, hard no way. 

My mom sighed, shaking her head, like I was just being a difficult child. "Now, look, I know how you feel about the Gemini coven–"

"How I feel about them?" I repeated incredulously. "It's how we feel about them, Mama. We can't stand the Gemini coven!"

She pursed her lips. "Don't you think that's a little harsh? We've certainly had our differences but–"

"Our differences?" I barked out a laugh at the serious understatement. "Is that what we're calling it now? Not only–"

"Eva, would you just–"

"Not only," I continued firmly, planting my hands on the wooden table and leaned toward her, "are they completely stuck in the last century with their weird, strict ways and traditions but they are also egotistical, selfish assholes–"

"Language!"

"–who could give a damn about their allies until it's them that need a hand. No, Mama, I won't do this. Not in a million years."

"Won't do what in a million years?"

My brother, Sam, strode into the kitchen, pushing his glasses up his nose and frowning at my mom and I, as if sensing the tension between us upon entry.

"Door was open, so I let myself in," he explained, giving my mom a quick kiss on the cheek and then ruffling my hair just because he knew it annoyed me. He was only two years older than me, for God's sake.

"Samuel, sweetie, take a seat." Mama gestured to the empty chair between us and he did so, cautiously. "How was the drive?"

"A little traffic but–"

"Thank God you're here!" I said in relief. "You can help me convince our mother that she's lost her mind."

"Eva." She looked at me, exasperated. "Really."

Samuel ran a hand through his thick black hair, his eyebrows raised. He had always been the calmer of us two, usually playing the mediator when my mom and I, being the stubborn one, got into an argument. But more often than not, I could still count on him to back me up while maintaining his well-let's-just-discuss-this-calmly attitude.

"You know, I was already pretty freaking wary when Ma called saying to come over for a family meeting, but now I'm starting to think I should just bolt," Sam said, only half joking. "What's going on?"

"Go ahead, Mama," I said with fake smile, gesturing toward my brother. "Fill him in on your wonderful plan."

Ignoring me, she turned to my brother, folding her hands in what I assume was an all business manner.