6

"The second trial of the Five Covens recruitment is centered on the core natural elements. Water, fire, air, earth."

Kai was leisurely pacing down the trimmed grass, occasionally looking around at the assembled covens that were watching him like hawks.

"All witches are taught to familiarize themselves with the essence of each element. Nature is our foundation, it's a must that we understand its components. You should all be able to invoke their essence when necessary, feel what they're made of through the touch of your magic."

He stopped and turned to face us all, smiling with a touch of mockery. "But that's not what we're looking for in this trial. Covens in this alliance don't just know how to summon the elements and mingle with them. They figure out how to manipulate them. Bend them to their will. Sounds ruthless, because it can be. Because sometimes, we have to be. Despite what many witches like to advocate, nature can be yielding. You just have to be extra assertive with the magical nudge you give it."

Oh, he was a Gemini, alright. The whole 'we are not nature's servants' babble was one of their favorite spiels. They were a coven that chose to take rather than give, and nature, the source behind who we were, wasn't an exception to that principle in their greedy eyes.

"This isn't necessarily a power contest, so don't think of it as one. Believe it or not, we can tell a lot about the type of witches you are by how you handle the elements and how they react to you. So, this is another way I can get to know you all and the standards that your covens have established in basic witch practices."

A filler trial is what it was. Not that the potential volatility of the elements should be taken so lightly, but I'd been playing with fire since I was a little girl, the way mundanes would roll around toy cars. Sparring had been exciting, despite the private altercation it led to in the storage closet with Kai and his bruised ego. Now, I was already suppressing yawns at the thought of downgrading to fiddling with nature, under the judgmental gazes of the Gemini coven from the figurative pedestals they haughtily stood upon.

Stations were prepped down a neat line that stretched across the yard, one for each competing coven. At every set-up, starters for the elements were circularly arranged: a wooden basin filled with fresh water and a crackling fire confined by rocks. None were supplied for earth and air, but honestly, if you still needed someone to hold your hand through those when we had the entire yard of greenery and the freaking atmosphere at our fingertips, you should have your witch card revoked immediately.

"No winners will be declared for this trial, because it isn't as black and white as sparring. There's a lot of gray area in elemental practice, which you should all use to your advantage. It means you can get creative, have a little freedom with what you show us here today. Only rule here? Give it your all." Then, Kai tilted his head thoughtfully. "And, of course, don't maim a fellow witch or burn down my compound. But I think that goes without saying."

His eyes landed on me, brows raising pointedly. I crossed my arms and mimicked his expression, although my portrayal was personally tinged with irritation at his assumption that I would be the one to need the warning. I had some urges to set fire to the witch, just enough to irrevocably singe his expensive-looking formal wear, but I wasn't so reckless as to do it in front of a bunch of witnesses. I'd exercise way more intelligence in my crimes than that, they'd be thoroughly untraceable.

When he turned away, his lip was suspiciously twitching.

"I've assigned a Gemini, including myself, to each coven to closely observe your crafts for later reporting, since I don't have five pairs of eyes and don't particularly feel like spelling some onto my face. Too much hassle. So, without further ado, contenders, go ahead and situate yourself at a spot. Once you're acquainted with your observers, you can begin."