CHAPTER 4: VILLAINS NEVER LIE

Dream had been left back home as the others were raiding an AU. He still hadn't "gotten back into the swing of things" yet, and thus was unprepared. So, he just started playing a video game (using a handheld console he found in Dust's room) to pass the time as he waited.

...while the idea of attacking an entire universe seemed gruesome, Nightmare had already "explained" to him the entire gist: The multiverse was unforgiving and cruel, and the group wasn't accepted by them. Thus, killing them was just... totally right...? 

His brother wouldn't do such a thing without a reason, surely...?

"You should stay away from them. They're horrible, absolutely horrible. That's why we've gotta get rid of them all. They're just... the worst."

"B-But they're still people..."

"I'd prefer to call them freaks. They push around anyone who doesn't 'fit in' with whatever bullsh*t they call 'normal.' Trust me. I mean, would I ever lie to you?"

Dream watched through the opening cutscene and began gameplay with a tutorial level.

He was already having fun.

The game had a cute, colorful aesthetic.

For some reason, he liked that.

~~~~~

"Ayo, we're back!... well, I got to come back first."

The yell came from none other than Dust, stumbling/limping over to the couch alone. He sat next to Dream. Dream instantly noticed the bruises and... paint stains on him.

"D-Dust, what happened to you?!"

"The Starbrats got to the place and wrecked us. The others are still fighting them, but I got to ditch because I can barely walk right now... well, I may have exaggerated a few things, but whatever."

"...Starbrats?"

"The Star Sanses... uh-"

Dust realized he was going to have to make something up on the spot to keep Dream from questioning. Otherwise, Nightmare would kill him.

He honestly didn't care if Dream left, but he wanted to keep himself from being stabbed or choked or any of the other ways Nightmare could execute him.

He had at least some sense of self-preservation.

"Ink and Blue, they're two idiots that protect the multiverse. They beat us up for trying to wreck it."

"...they did this to you?"

"Yeah. Almost got knocked in the teeth! Probably broke a rib though."

"...They sound terrible..."

"Wanna know wha else is terrible? You touching my stuff without my permission."

Dream already knew what he was talking about.

".U-Um-"

"Eh, just kidding. Shows you're learning- er, relearning something here. Heck, keep it. I never use it anyway."

"R-Really? Uh, thank you, Dust..."

"Heh, no problem."

(you'll get more of these two interacting in the next chapter [tomorrow)