CHAPTER 11: AFFABLY EVIL

(yay more references to other video games

Just because-)

(they're playing a certain fighting game. Try to guess their characters).

It was funny in a way.

Before Dream got amnesia, the group would've never been able to imagine themselves playing video games with him. But here they were, sitting on the couch, acting like a bunch of siblings or cousins.

"Take that, ya Rule 63 rip-off!!" Dust yelled in the most overly-dramatic voice he could muster.

"How are you so sure your character isn't the rip-off??" Killer asked. Huh??"

"SCREW YOU TWO AND YOUR SWORDS," Cross screamed, "MY CHARACTER'S GOT A F*CKING GUN!!! BEAT THAT!!!"

"No match for the mighty swing of my royal hammer!" Dream said pompously, before whacking Cross with his controller just because.

"Yield to me or perish," Nightmare said in a ridiculously casual voice, while completely failing to play because he didn't know how to and also kept switching characters each time (because he didn't realize that a character wasn't hopeless if he couldn't master them instantly). He always went for the edgy ones, so of course he chose something that looked like a dragon.

Horror was just trying to spam fireballs... and failing in frustrated silence.

The controller button-mashing noises would not cease.

The chaos was never-ending.

In the end, Dust won and started gloating to the rest of the gang.

"OH YEAH, BABY!!! WHO'S NUMBER ONE??? ME!!!"

"Heh. GG, Dust!" Killer said. He never really got bothered by losing... unlike the others (well, Horror lost early on so he just accepted his defeat and went to grab something out of the fridge, but-).

Cross threw his controller against the wall.

"F*CK YOU!!! Why couldn't we just play that other game we got yesterday!?!"

"Because I'm pretty sure it isn't multiplayer, duh."

Nightmare was resisting the urge to choke Dust right there.

Dream was throwing a temper tantrum.

"NO FAIR, NO FAIR, NO FAIR!!! I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO LOSE!!! YOU CHEATED!!! CHEATER!!!"

"...couldn't think of a more original insult than 'cheater,' huh?"

"...grrrrrr-"

Dream slapped Dust in the face and ran off, probably to go stab his pillow to let off some steam.

...

Now that Dream was out of the room, Cross felt the need to tell Nightmare something he had noticed.

"Uh, boss?"

"What is it?"

"Well... have you noticed Dream's been acting... different lately?"

"...how so?"

"Well, I didn't really know him well before he joined, but... I'm pretty sure he wasn't a spoiled brat or anything like he is now... like, wasn't his whole shtick being cheerful and nice and all that stuff?"

In truth Nightmare had noticed the changes. He wasn't stupid (or at least he never thought of himself as an idiot-).

However, he didn't mind it. The less positivity, the better. Plus, the meaner he got, the more willing he'd be to join in on the gang's atrocities.

And if he were more willing to participate, he'd be more accepting of it, and thus less likely to leave.

"I'd call it an improvement," Nightmare said, "f*ck being nice."

"...yeah, uh, sure. Whatever."

"What?"

Cross tried to avoid eye contact, looking nervous. He didn't say anything.

"Cross, I order you to elaborate on that!"

"...uh, well, y'see... you're not exactly the meanest guy out there, y'know? I-I'm not trying to claim you aren't evil or anything, but... you aren't really that bad to us..."

"Oh, I see. So you want me to be meaner, huh? Well, I could certainly fulfill that wish."

He smiled sinisterly. Cross gulped.

"N-No sir!! N-Not at all!! Uh-"

"Then shut it."

"...o-ok..."

~~~~

(Decided to add this here:

Recently, user Maya-mez made a story inspired by mine called "Dream amnesia," so go check that out if you want to see another person's take on the "Dream gets amnesia" idea!)