1943: Mail

Bucky POV:

I flipped through the mail a little haphazardly. Finally, I spotted the letter that I've been waiting for weeks. It had the government seal on it. I tossed the rest of the mail onto the counter before ripping it open. My eyes flickered down the page.

Dear Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes,

Your orders are as the following: You will be joining the 107th Tactical Unit in two days time.

The rest hardly mattered to me. I was going to the 107th! I would be with my little sister again. Things could not have been better. I grabbed my hat putting it on quickly before I darted out of the door. I headed over to Steve's apartment to tell him the news. However, when I got there, it was empty. Frowning at the sight, I wondered where he was.

"That punk's already got himself into trouble. So much for handling himself," I huffed walking briskly down the street.

It's only been a week since Evangeline's deployment, and he's already out finding trouble. I think he's reached his fourth attempt of getting into the army. Each time they turned him away. I kept an eye o the alleyways knowing that's where he'd probably be.

I was right.

As I reached the fifth alleyway, it held none other Steve and some other tough guy.

I heard Steve say his motto, "I can do this all day," but I knew he couldn't.

"Why don't you pick on someone your own size?" I snapped storming towards the pair.

"Oh yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" they guy chuckled turning towards me.

I swung a single punch, and he stumbled towards the ground. I gave him an extra kick to make sure he stays down. Well, that was until he took off like a scared little boy.

"Sometimes I think you like getting punched," I sighed.

"I had him on the ropes," Steve gasped out struggling to gain his balance.

"Sure you did," I huffed, "What'd Evangeline say 'bout getting into this stuff?"

He sighed leaning against the wall and wiped the blood that was falling from his nose. I looked down at his feet and noticed a piece of paper.

"How many times is this? And your from Paramus now? It's still illegal to lie on an enlistment form, and seriously, Jersey?" I scowled him.

Steve face drops "Got your orders?"

"107th ships out to England first thing Wednesday morning. This is practically my last night of freedom," I smiled.

"107th? Your going to be with her" he frowns even more.

"Ye Punk. I'm going to go and protect her," I said in order to lighten the mood.

"Right," he murmured.

"We can't all be on the war front, Steve. It might be for the best," I started.

"Ye well that ain't going to stop me from trying," he snapped.

I shook my head in disbelief. When will this kid give up.

"Why don't we go to the World's Fair tonight?" I suggested.

"What's there that's so interesting?" he questioned still frowning.

"The Future," I replied with a smirk.

After the Fair

Hey, Steve. What do you say we treat these ladies-," I began turning to speak to Steve.

But as usual, Steves appears to be gone. Instead, a little girl stood in the place that my best friend was previously standing in.

Steve's POV:

I stare at the mirrored booth in front of me. There was a burly man acting big and heroic as the mirror created an appearance of a soldier.

After a moment of boosting his ego, I stepped up to where he once was stood. I now wear the uniform but it ached when I saw that my head didn't reach over the collar. Just as I was about to step down, I felt a hand clamp my shoulder.

"You're kind of missing the point of having fun," he started, "Come on let's go and get some grub."

"You go ahead," I simply said.

Bucky's eyes shifted from my own and looked beyond. He eyes what's behind me. The recruitment signs.

"You're really gonna do this now?" he sighs.

"It's a fait. I'm gonna try my luck," I shrugged.

"As who? Steve from Ohio?," he asked, "They'll catch you. Or worse, they'll actually take you. God if Ev knew she would flip, Steve!"

I just looked at the man with a grim smile of disappointment. Nobody believes I can do it.

"You don't think I can do it, can you?" I questioned.

"This isnt some back alley, Steve. Its a war. Why are you so keen to fight? Therere lots of other important jobs," he admitted.

"You want me to sit in a factory? Collect scrap metal in my little red wagon while the men are laying down their lives? I can do as well as them and I got no right to do any less. Thats the thing you dont get, Bucky. Its not about me," I finally let what I was holding in, spill out of me.

"Right. Cause youve got nothing to prove. A tense beat passes between them," he walked off.

Before I turned around myself, Bucky came back to my side. He held out his hands and all I could do is show glaze my face with worry and shake the mans hand.

"Promise me you wont do anything too stupid before I get back," he sighed.

"I cant. Youre taking all the stupid with you." I chuckled.

"Youre a punk," he hugged me.

"Youre a jerk," I said as he released me from the embrace and turns to leave. As he reaches the steps, he spins on the balls of his feat and gives me a little wave.

"Dont win the war till I get there," I shouted.

And with that, my best friend had left. Not looking back. First my girl and now him.

Now, it's my time.