Chapter 4

"So all you did is exchange a few words?" my mother asked.

"Yes, Mother. You know better than anyone that this is a game of patience."

"Not a single dance?"

"It is approaching."

"What is approaching?"

"Another ball," I answered simply. 

"But Darling, you are yet to be invited."

"Yet to be," I repeated. "Mother, you had taught me this game. Trust me to know how to play it."

"I trust you. I just fear that you may be taking it too slow."

"That is not trust, Mother."

"If your plan works in your favor, do you think you might marry him?"

"Don't be absurd," I scoffed. "Marriage is for those who are contempt with living a life with only one other. I possess no such urge."

"Do as you wish, Rose, but do not deny something that you want simply because it is against your previous beliefs."

"My beliefs about marriage are quite firm."

"As I said, do as you wish."

♛♛♛

As expected, another invitation came in the afternoon. It was for another ball the following evening, which gave me time to work on my studies and play the piano. I also decided to meet up with Henry. I usually avoid such encounters after sex, but I do enjoy his company and I have free time to waste.

I threw on a daytime dress and a pair of comfortable shoes and made my way to the park where we had agreed to meet. 

"You look lovely today," he said, greeting me. 

"Again with the flattery."

"Is it wrong to compliment a lady when I believe she looks well?"

"Never," I said, quite enjoying our bickering. 

"I hear you have set your sights on the prince."

"Where did you hear that?"

"My sister was at the ball last night."

"Ah, I don't believe I had the pleasure of meeting her."

"I suggest you not. She can be quite a bore."

"Then it must run in the family," I teased. 

"I don't recall you calling me a bore when we were in bed. It was the opposite, actually."

"Really? I can't seem to remember."

"Then let me remind you," he said. Well played. 

"Now, learn to share. Save some excitement for the prince."

"What is your next move for him?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not blind, Rosalie. I can see your game. Truthfully, it intrigues me."

Damn. Have I been caught? And here I thought all Henry was was a good flirt. However, I could always use some assistance in my plays from a friend. "Would you like to help me, then?"

"It would be my pleasure," he said with a smile. 

"There is a ball tomorrow. Would you like to help me come up with the next move?"

"What did you have in mind?"

"Well, I must get closer to him, although I am not sure how."

"I can help there."

"How?" 

"The prince is an old family friend of mine."

I looked at him with shock. "What?"

"Yes, my parents are old friends of the castle. We are actually having dinner there tonight. Would you like to accompany me?"

"It would be my honor," I said with a smile. 

"Perfect. Better begin preparing, then." He turned around and began walking away after a kiss in the cheek. 

"Wait!" I called after him "What's in it for you?"

"What do you mean?"

"How do you benefit from helping me?"

"Well you would become the queen if all goes accordingly, and I would have a good connection. Besides, do I need a motive to help a friend?"

So he didn't realize that I had no intention on becoming queen. His reasoning was fair, however, and I decided to trust him. 

It was Henry, for God's sake. He was harmless.