chapter 28 untied shoelaces

I drift through the milky shadows of sleep before I find myself standing on a gray sand beach. The skies are darkened by the threat of a storm. The air smells electric and salty, burning inside my nostrils with vivid intensity. The atmosphere feels heavier, and thicker than before, and the humid air sinks deep into my lungs like a weight.

In the distance, a violent storm amasses on the horizon. Rushing waves of gray foam and sharp edges coat the ocean's surface for as far as the eye can see.

In the back of my mind, I realize the storm is growing stronger by the minute.

I feel my pocket and find my phone safely tucked inside. I check the screen and notice an odd phrase attached to the severe weather alert.

Untied shoelaces.

I frown at the message briefly before its double meaning clicks inside my head.

It's a metaphor the weather station uses to describe violent weather or the threat of disaster unleashing. One usually falls when their shoelaces are untied. The shoes also represent those who lost their lives to an ocean storm.

It is a symbol of coming death.

My wary gaze travels back to the oncoming storm. I take a slow step backward as if my sudden movements could cause the storm to come faster. I swallow hard as my heart begins to pound.

Untied shoelaces.

I turn around and begin to run towards the beach house on the distant hill. I claw at the empty yet suffocating air, fighting to move an inch forward. My bare feet sink deep into the wet sand with each large step.

I can't move.

I can't escape.

This is the end for me.

"Eden!"

I look over sharply, choking on the air I breathe, and scream, "JIMIN!"

Jimin is running towards me with inhumane speed with his ears flattened against his cotton candy pink hair. He reaches me easily and yanks me from the sinking pit of sand. He wraps his arms tightly around my waist and pulls me against him.

I fall into him and hold onto him with all my might, crying and thanking him for saving me from the sand.

"Shh, shh it's going to be okay," he whispers tenderly into my hair. He lightly kisses my temple, "It's okay, kitten, I got you."

I squeeze my eyes shut and nod fervently. "Don't let go."

"I won't."

"YAH! GET INSIDE! IT'S UNTIED SHOELACES!"

My head snaps up at the sound of Yoongi's voice in the wind. I look towards the beach house and find Yoongi standing outside. He waves wildly at us, "COME ON! COME INSIDE!"

Jimin nods, looking in Yoongi's direction as well. "Let's go. We have everything prepared." He smiles at me through the corner of his eye, "Everybody is waiting for us."

"But... but it's untied shoelaces..." I worry and continue to look back at the storm. "It's not safe for us anymore."

"We're going to be safe in the house. We're going to be okay. Trust me, okay?"

"Alright," I relent, deciding not to argue with him so close to the storm. We have to move quickly to escape this storm.

However, Jimin appears completely calm. His hair is the color of soft pink, like the first blush of dawn, and he wears a light blue fleece coat over his striped shirt. His cat ears are fluffier than usual and white instead of calico. His tail moves calmly behind him in relaxed, swishing motions. Against the darkening skies, he is the picture of serene peace.