Chapter 23: Spy Mission

Roman's POV

As I'm basically arguing with myself if I should go to sleep or not for a good thirty minutes, the bed creeks next to me and I hear footsteps next. My head's facing towards the ceiling, so I turn to the right side and see her move the blanket off the floor and set it on top of the bed. She walks around the right, crammed side by the air conditioner, and makes her way over towards me for some reason.

She could either be killing me or about to yell at me for what I said.

It's pretty dark, but the lights from outside bring a little brightness into the room so I can see her pretty well. Her comparatively small frame stands next to my bed and she immediately takes the blanket off before laying onto the other pillow beside me.

She still doesn't talk or make eye contact with me.

I move my body a little to the right to give her more space and she moves deeper into the mattress. Her hands move on top of the blanket and interlock on her stomach as she stares blankly up at the ceiling.

I have no fucking idea what the hell is going on, and I don't even know what to say about it.

"The air conditioner was on my face," her soft and hurt voice excuses as she turns her head toward me.

"I can turn it off," I offer in a teasing way.

I get up a little just to see if she'll actually let me do it because part of me wants to see her stop me for some fucking reason.

"No." She puts her hand on my arm to stop me.

I lie back down with a small smirk in victory, but don't completely show it. She moves her head closer to me once my head has hit my pillow, and I have no clue why the hell she's doing this but shit is it turning me on and making me hate her a little less.

A little.

Her head lays right in front of my chest as I turn my body around so that we're facing each other now. She adjusts a little while facing me a little more, and by the way her body language looks, she looks like she fears of what I might do or say if she keeps moving closer.

"Do you mind?" she proves my point by asking, afraid that I might say yes.

It almost makes me want to laugh at how she could think I would actually reject her. No one would if we're being honest.

Instead of answering, I pull her closer towards me with my hand around the small of her back. Her arms go around my back right as I do so, and I feel her smile against my chest. My heart suddenly begins to beat as fast as shit which she can probably feel by where her head is laying.

What the fuck am I doing? I was just talking about how I didn't like her a couple of hours ago. Not that I like her now or anything.

"I didn't meet my dad until I was fourteen years old," she admits in a faint voice as she looks up at me and I look back down at her. "I only knew his drunk version until then." Her head turns back down to pick at her nails as a distraction.

The fact that she went through her dad being an alcoholic and still takes care of him while defending his actions proves that she's a hell-of-a-lot stronger person than she sees herself to be. She's manipulated as shit, but that doesn't mean that she doesn't have more tougher skin than most people.

"We went to the city and he had the funniest road rage I'd ever seen," she smiles, and that only makes my fucking heart speed up more which I didn't even think was possible. "That was the first day...that was the first day I didn't want to hurt myself."