Chapter 8 - Vocal Check

Summary: Steven eventually learns that he has been tested by an easy mission which he failed and wanted to prove that he can do better. Luckily, the gems made a perfect test for Steven which includes the unknown gem, Spinel.
__________ __________ __________

It was cloudy outside and might start raining soon. The hole on the ceiling, caused by the Flask Robonoid is now boarded up. Lion is inside the house, napping on the floor and Steven & Spinel are beside each other on the couch, playing a board game called "Citchen Calamiti".

Amethyst is also in the house, suggested keeping an eye on the two of the pink gems, sitting on a stool in the kitchen with a bag of chips in hand while watching the two have fun. Garnet & Pearl eventually warped back at the Beach House from their mission.

"Oh, morning Steven! And hi again Spinel & Amethyst." Pearl greeted.

"Hi, Pearl!" Steven responded.

"Sup, P." Followed by Amethyst. Spinel just waved at them.

"How was everyone while we were gone?" Pearl questions in slight worry as the two tall gems made their way to the two pink gems.

"Doing fine! Last night was fine too. Me and Spinel had a good sleep. I'm not sure if it's still a slumber party but it was still fun." Steven explains while the two played with each other on the board game.

"It's cool that Spinel can sleep at the same time as Steven. I, personally, sleep anytime I want." Amethyst remarked before raining the chips into her mouth and munches it.

"I guess it's cool too. I'm assuming she just doesn't like the dark so she rather sleeps during it, considering last time." Steven mentioned, still waiting for his turn on the board game. This mostly alarmed Pearl.

"Last time?" Pearl questions, Spinel was confused and slightly lifts her head to look at Steven. Steven looks up from the board game, slightly paying attention to what Pearl asked.

"Huh? Oh, last time at our slumber party, Spinel can hardly sleep but she eventually managed... Until she had a nightmare but we both went back to sleep again." The hybrid said simply.

Spinel hardly remembers what happened last night but also has some kind of the same feeling as what Steven just said. A "nightmare"? That sounds... Familiar.

"Oh, wow." Amethyst replied quickly in slight shock.

"Now, where was I? Oh right, it's my turn!" Steven then picks up and reads another game card silently before he gasps excitedly. "I've gotta roll the dice to escape the eggquake!"

Steven got closer to press the button of the blender part of the mini-game with the game dices inside, rolling and shuffling it.

"C'mon, papa needs a new skillet!" He begs as the blender shuffles before the dices emerge from underneath the blender, both displaying an "egg" face. "Yeah! Double sunnies!"
Steven moves his player piece across the game board, finishing it with him winning.
"I did it, I win! Yeah!-" Spinel smiled at Steven, not really caring that she lost until she accidentally giggles before it quickly got replaced by coughs, interrupting Steven's celebration falter into worry some.

"Oh my, are you ok?" The hybrid says as he gently rubs her back. Spinel nodded, waving her hand, gesturing him she's fine.

"Still can't talk. Hm." Garnet says flatly at the two. Steven sadly shook his head in response. The clouds finally started to present the rain, water drops fall on top of the roof of the Beach House.

"Oh wait, now that you guys are all here, why don't we play together?" Steven says genuinely happy, trying to lighten up the mood as Pearl summons a bucket from her gem under the boarded hole that is now slowly dripping with water.