Chapter Eight

The waitress walked in the room behind us and announced our arrival.

"You've got visitors," she chimed.

"Oh, great! Come in, have a seat!"

Cynthia smiled and used a hand gesture to get us to come to the table.
I sat in front of them absolutely frozen.

"Well, um, I'm sure you know why we're both here," Sam spoke with a shaky voice. Mom nodded and smiled at Sam.

"Yes, yes. You're the lovely young man that works for Jake, my old friend from high school. He's told me a lot about you."

She laughed and looked at Cynthia, as if it was too awkward to speak for herself.

"Well, tell me about yourselves!"

Cynthia pointed at Sam.

"You first."

Sam looked at me, made a small noise, and finally spoke.

"My name is Sam. I work at the music store in the mall. I'm a huge fan, and I have every album you've released."

Mom nodded slowly and shook his hand over the table.

"You're so sweet, and I love your hair."

Sam laughed his funny little laugh and ran his fingers through his hair.

"I dyed it this color because of your song Hair. It was released ages ago, but it's my favorite."

Sam sat there in an awkward position, and Cynthia raised her eyebrows.

"Great choice!"

The small-talk was killing us, but I didn't want Mom to get mad at me for speaking out without being called on. Of course, she doesn't know who I am yet by the look on her face anyways. I gave it a try.

"I'm Louise Cooper. Gypsy is my favorite song, and I believe we've met before."

Stefani smiled, but then it kind of faded, and she slowly covered her mouth. She looked over at Cynthia.

"She paid fifty dollars to see me. I'm sorry I denied you," Cynthia frowned at me.

"Wait, so you're not purposely avoiding me?"

Mom stood up from the table before Cynthia could say anything. Sam sat there speechless.

"Come with me. We need to talk," she said softly, trying to keep a straight face.

Sam looked back at me, and he could tell that I was horrified.

He mouthed, "See you in a bit," and laughed.

I felt like my mom was making a bit of a scene by taking me out of the entire restaurant. However, I also felt like I would come screaming to her earlier today. Here she is, and I can't even speak another word.

She made me follow her outside to a table by the garden.

"Louise, I'm so sorry," she wailed.

I just nodded.

"It's fine, don't apologize. Music is more important."

She used her designer jacket to wipe her tears.

"Music isn't more important, you don't understand. Too much has changed. You're not even supposed to be here. Jamie and Steven gave you the rules."

I furrowed my eyebrows.

"So you're telling me that you didn't want me to find you?"

She nodded very discreetly.

"Then why did you call me back here?"