Chapter Seventeen

After walking back inside, I was exhausted. It was hard seeing everyone in the place that looked like they may die soon, or the ones who know a person that is going to die soon. I sighed heavily, and Mom reached for my hand.

"It'll be fine, kiddo. He's just getting a cast."

I shrugged and took her hand.

"It's not that. I know Giuseppe will be fine, but what about all of these others?"

We made it inside of the waiting room.

"Honey, you can't save everyone at once. They're just taking the most sick ones first to save the others later."

Naturally, she let go of my hand to sign the papers on the counter. Taylor and Giuseppe had already left and went to a room, and Jessica stayed behind to play her phone.

I walked over to her with nothing better to do.

"You alright? You seem upset."

I sat down and she turned toward me in her chair.

"My boyfriend broke up with m-"

She saw Mom coming and immediately dropped the situation. Her phone was dropped as well.

Jessica hugged her so tight that I had expected an eyeball to pop out.

"I missed you babe," Mom said, smiling at Jessica.

"I missed you more!"

Jessica said in a sing-song tone that made me nauseous. I felt like these people were too nice for me. I know that sounds insane, but have you ever been around someone so nice that you became uncomfortable? It doesn't happen much in the streets of New York, obviously. Depending on where you go, there are people like that everywhere.

"I'll meet you in the car," I grumbled, even though I had already worked up a sweat running in and out two times.

"What's wrong?"

Mom tried to understand what was happening because I should have been happy to see her.

Oh, I was happy. Very happy, actually. It's just that some things are better waited for.

I wish I would have never taken Giuseppe with me to the store. I should have minded Taylor this morning and took Jessica.

"I think I'm getting a cold," I sniffled, pretending to be sick.

"I can tell you're lying. I wasn't born yesterday!"

She smiled, and then it faded when I didn't smile back.

"When are you flying back out?"

Mom furrowed her eyebrows.

"What do you mean baby? Don't you want to stay until the end of the week?"

I shook my head very gently.

"No, I don't. When Giuseppe gets back though, tell him we'll trade candy when we get to the house."

"Don't be like this," Jessica laughed.

I turned toward her.

"Aren't you just a perfect little princess that knows how to live life?"

Jessica and Mom both looked at each other blankly.

"I think it would be best if you went to the car, if that's what you want."

I didn't say anything. Instead, I just turned and walked out. What made me act so rude to them both is still unclear to me, but I've been holding so much in since I've met these people. I didn't even bother making a scene about seeing Sam sitting in the corner of the waiting room with stitches a moment ago. Everyone knows I would have, too.