Chapter Thirteen

I wanted to pack right away, but I couldn't. Of course, all I owned was my outfit, Sam's old jacket, my Converse, my phone, and my soul when I finally met my family. Because of that, we had to go to Jamie's house and retrieve all of my belongings. Even though she probably didn't want me to, I took the Ella Fitzgerald record as a reminder of what I went through. Before Mom and I left their house, I told Steven sorry and gave him a long hug. He shook his head and congratulated me.

"You don't have to apologize, I'm proud of you. What you did for yourself was brave," he smiled. We didn't talk or bond much, but I felt like he was the closest person on the planet that I've ever had as a father.

Next, I gave Jamie a hug, but I didn't apologize for anything. Even though she seemed great, she constantly put me down. As for schooling, I never really got online when I was there. No wonder I'm not accepted in society.

We left a little late because Mom decided to chat with her buddies for an hour. After I had told both of them goodbye, I just walked out of the house. In fact, it felt better than the first time I left with Sam. I was finally free. Ironically, I cried in the car for the whole hour, solely because I missed Steven already. I made myself quit crying before Mom came outside, and I decided to give Taylor a chance to be my father.

"What's wrong?"

She sat down sat in the car and buckled her seat belt.

"Oh, nothing. Just have mascara in my eye," I said, pretending to pick something from my left eye.

"You were crying for that whole time, weren't you?"

She started the car and cupped my face in her hands. I nodded slightly, and she let go of my face.

"Louise... What happened? Did that boy break your heart? I'll kill him," she said with an angered tone. I began to laugh through my tears.

"It wasn't Sam, Mom. I just miss Steven. Dad wasn't ever really around when I was a kid, and I feel like I can trust Steven more."

She inhaled and exhaled very slowly.

"Do you still like singing?"

I had never quit singing, I had just dreaded criticism. I hid my talent from everyone. Well, that is, two people.

"Of course I do."

She gave me a warm smile.

"Good. If you will stay with Taylor and your siblings in Malibu, I'll bring you and Sam to my New York show, and you can sing with me. Ever heard of Tony Bennett?"

She started the car and pulled out of the driveway.

"Of course I have."

I continued using variations of the same sentence to answer her because it entertained me.

"He's my best friend. We talk all of the time. Tony is a wonderful man. You'll meet him sooner or later."

"Wait a second," I sighed heavily.

"You want me to go to Malibu now?"

Mom closed her eyes tightly (for a split second, thank God) and shrugged.

"I don't know. I wish we could just compromise, but I can't make up seven years of your life. You'll be old enough to move out in three years," she squeaked. I could tell that talking about leaving me hurt her so much.

"What about Sam? How will I talk to him in Malibu?"

"I'll take you to his apartment, and you can tell him what's going on. He'll understand, trust me."