Chapter One

Today is just a normal Thursday in Jamie and Steven's house. It's been nearly eight years since Mom left for work. I started to worry about her day after day. I sat down at my desk and flipped through an old photo album she had slipped in my backpack the day I was 'dropped off'. I look at this thing about one-thousand times a week to tell you the truth. Mr. Cooper finally realized I only flipped through it when I missed my mom. He opened my door slowly and peeked his head in.

"What's wrong, Louise?"

I sighed heavily.

"The same thing that has been wrong the last seven-hundred times you've asked," I snapped unintentionally.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say it like that," I felt my cheeks light up.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it," he paused, "but I want you to come spend time with Jamie and I, okay? We're just watching the news."

I stood up from my chair and followed him into their massive sitting room.

"Look who it is! Louise, come here!"

Mrs. Cooper smiled and stood up with her arms out. I ran over to her and gave her a hug. Although I find her kindness annoying, Jamie and I have really bonded since I've been here. She even assigned us a weekly shopping day! It just so happens that day is today. Every Thursday, Jamie and I go to the mall and buy whatever we want.
Jamie grinned.

"You noticed it's Thursday, didn't you?"

I nodded and sat down on the left side of Jamie.

"Well, great! We'll get ready in a while, I just wanted to... Show you the news?"

She began to laugh. She turned her attention toward the television, and it was literally just the news. That's pretty much the only thing we watch in this house.
As I watched more and more, I realized that they had something they wanted to show me. They never make me watch the news for more than five minutes. Jamie pointed at the TV and said,

"Look up."

I raised my head up and saw a short, thin, outgoing woman dressed in a shoulder-length blonde wig and a white strapless dress. I looked at Jamie with a confused look, and she spoke again.

"It's Lady Gaga."

I started to laugh to myself.

"Yeah? What do I need to care for?"

I never really caught on with pop music, really. My favorite genre was rock- which was the exact opposite of The Cooper Family's preference. Jamie and Steven looked at each other blankly.

"Oh, no reason," she looked back at the TV.

The woman smiled and waved at the camera as she got in a limousine. A French bulldog got in the limousine right behind her. I laughed at the small act and turned toward Jamie.

"The dog's cute," I mumbled.

You probably think I'm crazy, but I don't have a half-decent computer for research on any of these famous people. Jamie and Steven are old-school type parents. So, pretty much the only modern-day things I have are my clothes, desk, bed, and my MP3 player.

Jamie bent forward and massaged her temples.

"You don't know who Lady Gaga is? You've spent eight years with us, I've given so many hints, we've shown you so many pictures, and you have no idea?"

She looked up at me with a warm, gentle look rather than a frustrated one.

"I'm sorry, but..."

I paused and looked up, taking the first one of their apparent hints.

"Oh my gosh," I stood up from the couch and pointed at their television.

"Did you record that?!"

I ran down the hall into my room as fast as I could. Jamie called back to me,

"Yes dear!"

I put my Metallica shirt on along with some leggings to go under my ripped jeans. Jamie said that the "shredded" jeans by themselves were obnoxious. Tell that to my real mom, and she'd give you quite a speech. Anyways, I slipped on my Converse high-tops and ran back into the sitting room.

"Let me watch her again," I blurted, flopping backward on the couch.

"Okay, calm down, honey."

Jamie chuckled and pressed play on the remote. I watched this intriguing woman step out into the crowd, smiling with each step as her small dog followed behind her.

"This is... This is really her?"

I looked over at Steven, who nodded his head as soon as he saw me.

"She's famous?"

I brought my eyebrows together in an almost angry manner.

"Yes, she is."

Jamie sat down by me on the couch with her car keys twirling around her finger.

"Do you have her phone number?"

Jamie's eyes trailed over to Steven's.

"Unfortunately, she changed her ph-"

I cut her off mid-sentence.

"I knew she was lying! She didn't want to see me again, she just wanted some time away from me. She never told me she was a famous musician. Maybe I should have taken her hints, too," I smirked.

I stood up and ran to the front door.

"She was just protecting you, Louise!"

I opened the door and started walking toward her car.

"We'll be back in a few hours. Louise and I need to talk," Jamie mumbled to Steven as she shut the door behind us.
--------------------------------------------
Here is the first chapter! This is going to get good soon. <3