Chapter Nine

Sam gave me a dirty look when we stopped at a red light.

"You know that you could have kept that jacket, right?"

I nodded and gave him a rude glare back.

"Yeah, but you're not her child, are you?"

He started to massage his temples.

"What did she say to you, anyways?"

I smirked and shook my head.

"It's not important. Wait, let me rephrase that. I'm not important."

He furrowed his eyebrows.

"Why would you say that?"

Why did I say it? It's obviously at least seventy-five percent true.

"Oh, no reason."

He started to drive a little over the speed limit when the light turned green. Traffic wasn't all too bad, surprisingly.

"I wonder if Stef still lives in the house she used to, though."

He said in a mocking voice,

"Oh, I don't know! Why don't we just show up at her front door?"

I unbuckled my seat belt.

"Pull over and let me out of this car."

He shook his head and sped up.

"Why are you so upset all of the sudden?"

Sam turned his head toward me.

"You're the most irritating guy I've ever met in my life."

He laughed.

"Then you haven't met very many guys, sweetheart."

It was true, and I wanted to kill him for realizing. I buckled my seat belt back up, and then I sat in silence for a while.
Sam finally spoke up. I'm kind of glad he did because I sure didn't want to.

"We're going to my apartment for a bit. You wouldn't tell me where you wanted to go," he sneered.

"I won't make myself comfortable, but I hope you've got a decent couch. This seat is killing me."

He grunted.

"Just because Sheila is almost older than you doesn't mean you have to be rude."

I laughed right in his face, and it felt good.

"I'm being rude?! I hardly even know you, and you probably only talk to me because of my mom."

He began to say something, but he closed his mouth. He realized that I was right, and he didn't want to admit it.

We arrived at some expensive-looking apartment buildings thirty minutes later.

"Alright, I have rules."

He held his index finger up.

"One, don't touch my television."

He held up two fingers.

"Two, don't touch my Lady Gaga merchandise. I worked hard hours for that stuff."

I interrupted him before he held a third finger up.

"Are you joking? I'm literally half of her. Do you think I would break it or anything? I can just tell my mom how you're treating me, you know."

I turned my head toward him and smiled. He jumped out of the car and ran over to my side. He opened my door and helped me get out. It felt like my seat in the car was about ten centimeters off of the ground. I grabbed my backpack and put it over my shoulder.