Chapter Fifteen

A month eventually went by, and I was sure that Malibu was my favorite place in the world. Taylor had been talking to Mom often, so he wasn't upset anymore. Right now, I'm laying on the beach in a tank-top and really short basketball shorts. Quite apparently, there's a snack bar nearby, and they sell sunglasses. I went ahead and bought a pair, and since he forgot, Taylor had to force me to put sunscreen on. It was a pretty funny experience because he had to chase me around the beach, and I couldn't help but laugh when he slipped and took me down with him. Jessica and Giuseppe were laughing so hard that they, meaning Giuseppe, fell over and broke their sand mansion.
After we had finally brushed most of the sand out of our hair, Taylor agreed to let me go get a soda and cool down while they played in the water. He gave me ten dollars, I grabbed my phone, and then we departed. I felt absolutely independent, and it was nice! Though the walk was a bit lengthy, I enjoyed the warm sand under my feet, minus the occasional shell stabbing my foot. I sat down on the bar stool and ordered a Pepsi with extra ice. When I received it, I stayed put, only because I'm lazy when I get the chance to be.
I took a couple sips, talking to the person behind the counter a few times in between. I had finally got a chance to soak up the sun, and I had watched all of the other kids chasing down each other. I never got to do that as a kid, so out of the thirteen times we've been this summer, I've loved it each time.
When I was the only one still sitting at the counter, I asked the woman if it was okay that I stayed for a bit. She graciously agreed, and introduced herself as Brittani. I thanked her and took one large drink of my soda. The second I filled my mouth with Pepsi, someone tapped my shoulder, and I tried not to spit everywhere.

"Can I sit next to you?"

It was a male voice, and I froze. I nodded with a huge gulp following. He ordered an ice cold Coke, and I turned toward him while he wasn't looking.

His hair was dark brown, he was wearing a graphic T-shirt with Batman on it, and his swim-trunks were yellow to match.

"So," he started, taking a drink of his Coke. I took a drink of my Pepsi, and as soon as I did, he gave me a really wide, toothy grin.

I turned away as quick as I could, spitting my Pepsi of into the sand in the process.

"Sam?!"

I got off of the bar stool, tripped, and landed on my back... in my Pepsi.

"You didn't recognize me?"

He started to laugh and he helped me up.

"What the heck happened? You look normal," I chuckled and began to wipe away the wet clumps of sand off of my back.

"I took your advice, and then I convinced my boss to let me take vacation. Isn't this nice?"

Sam waved at Brittani and grabbed my Pepsi and his Coke off of the counter.

"Well yeah, but you never listened to anything I said! Why'd you finally decide to?"

He handed me my Pepsi and began to laugh.

"Because you were right, and my hair looked stupid."

I reached up and roughed his hair up, which annoyed him more than anything. We began ruining each other's hair, and then he poured his Coke on me. What nerves he had!
My jaw fell to the floor.

"Why'd you do that?"

We were both laughing, and he apologized. I poured my Pepsi over his head as he continued cackling.

Unfortunately, I wanted to go back to Taylor, but Sam was following me.

"Dude, you can't come with me."