Chapter 6

Luke's POV

"We're here. What do you think?" I tried to sound less nervous than I actually was, but it wasn't easy. I really wanted this to work, and from the looks of things, they were off to a rough start.

"Luke, this is amazing." Julie said after a long pause.

"Well, should we get started?" I asked, leading her over to a small hill were a single bench sat. Julie started setting up her keyboard, and while she was doing that, I took my guitar out of its case and started tuning it.

"You ready?" She asked, sitting down behind her keyboard, which she'd set up in front of the bench and I sat down on the grass, resting my guitar on my right knee.

"Yeah, uh where should we start?"

"I was thinking we could warm up by doing one of our songs that we have already done." Julie suggested. We would normally warm up by singing some of the chords to songs by rock legends, but since we've played the Orpheum, that was us now too I guess.

"Okay, cool. What about this?" I started strumming the first chords to Stand Tall, and noticed Julie catch on. She joined in on the keyboard, and then started singing.

A/N: I know next to nothing about music and even less about songwriting, so I'm just gonna put the song in full.

We closed out the song, and I couldn't stop staring at her. She looked up and saw me looking at her, and I immediately looked away.

"Is something wrong? Why are you staring at me?" I looked up again, and cleared my throat.

How in the world am I gonna play this off?

"Oh, nothing's wrong. I just...uh..." I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

"It's okay," She giggled. "So, I was thinking maybe we could do something like Stand Tall, but instead it's kind of like inviting people to call for help if they need." She added quickly.

"Okay, sure. What did you have in mind?"

I listened as Julie played some notes on her keyboard, and as usual, it was amazing. I'd already started thinking about some of the lyrics we could do for it. Out of habit, I took my journal and began scribbling some lyrics, singing along to her melody. Keeping her suggestion in mind, I started to sing something like a guidance song.

'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you

There's nothing you can say, nothing you can do

There's no other way when it comes to the truth.

So keep holdin' on

'Cause you know we'll make it through

We'll make it through

I stopped singing, trying to think of a possible first verse, when Julie came up with an idea.

You're not alone, together we stand

I'll be by your side, you know, I'll take your hand

When it gets cold and it feels like the end

There's no place to go, you know, I won't give in