The Encounter

Geralt led me off the trail, towards a stream, a bit deep in the woods. He put Roach's reins down, putting a heavy rock on top, making sure it was secure. He sat on a rock, close to the stream and picked a plant out of the water. I walked over to the water, grabbing a bit to drink, when all of a sudden I heard a stick snap in the distance, which didn't escape Geralt's notice either, as he attentively was listening in the direction the noise came from, completely alert. He turned back to what he was doing, yet didn't drop his guard. He glanced at me before I finally saw a woman make her way over to Geralt.

"The girl this morning, she took you to see Stregobor, didn't she?" The woman, who I could only assume was Renfri, asked pointedly. Geralt stood up, and faced her.

"I know who you are, Renfri." He stated before walking towards Roach. She took a glance at me, to which my heartrate picked up.

"You know that I want to kill Stregobor, then." She said, not fazed. Geralt continued walking towards his horse, with no comment.

"I used to be a princess. Did he tell you that?" Renfri asked, with a grin on her face, earning a glance from Geralt as he stopped by Roach. He grabbed a sack out of a pouch in the horse's saddle. I stood completely still, completely on guard. I didn't know what she was capable of, and what her intentions were, but I was also afraid, though I tried not to show it.

"Until he sent a thug in the woods to kill me." She explained.

"You killed him." Geralt stated, making his way over to her.

"With my mother's brooch." She finished, as he stopped in front of her. Geralt turned away from her, making his way back to his original rock by the stream, sitting down, and gathering some herbs from the stream. Renfri made her way over to him, crouching down beside him. She gave me a grin before turning her attention back to Geralt. I noticed him sniff one of the herbs that he picked up, before putting it in the satchel. I made my way over to the opposite side of the stream, across from Geralt. He glanced at me before turning back to what he was doing. All was quiet a moment.

"Stregobor's man raped me..." She began, earning a glance from Geralt. "robbed me and let me go. No more princess. I had to survive. I stole rather than starve. I killed rather than be killed." Renfri said, her attention to the canopy of leaves above us. I looked at Geralt. He looked mad, as though he cared. I wonder if he believes her. I don't know what to believe, myself. I looked at the stream, watching the water flow between the rocks as she continued, listening intently.

"Nohorn and the others saved me. And they'll be by my side at the market as I get my revenge. Lilit help me, I will take anyone down that gets in my way." She warned, looking at Geralt, who studied her. "Unless, Destiny intervenes." She provoked. Geralt stood up, I watched him carefully as he turned to her.

"You want me to kill Stregobor for you." He stated, before walking towards Roach. I stood up, slowly following his lead.

"It's the lesser evil." She pleaded, making Geralt stop in his tracks to the familiar phrase we've heard a multitude of times before.

"So I keep getting told." He said before putting the sack of herbs in the pouch on the horse's saddle. I made my way next to Roach's head, petting him, to which he leaned his head more towards me. Geralt looked at me, a small smile tugging at his lips before Renfri walked closer to us. His smile dropped, and he stood more alert.

"Stregobor asked you to kill me too." She realized, to which Geralt let out a sigh, as he turned towards her, dropping his arms. "'Cause I was a girl born during an eclipse." She said, shaking her head. She looked angry, and sad, her mouth pulled tight.

"I could've become so many things. Queen Calanthe of Cintra, she just won her first battle at Hochebuz. But here I am trying to convince you I'm not - "