The Dream

I vaguely remember going to an inn, and Geralt frantically trying to get help. My fever worsened...greatly. I was so cold....then so hot. I was miserable and in pain. My leg kept killing me. I kept drifting in and out of consciousness, but always in pain. I never could quite wake up, but I constantly felt Geralt's presence. The third day passed...at least, that's what Geralt would say. He talked to me, and every now and then I could catch what he was saying, though not much made sense. Sometimes I managed to gain a bit of consciousness, but I couldn't open my eyes. The pain was great. I felt that I was burning from the inside out, yet I couldn't even scream. I couldn't move in response, I could only lay there. I felt a cool, damp cloth being placed on my head. I tried to open my eyes, but I couldn't.

"(Y/N), I'm going to give you something. It's a potion...but, it could kill you, and if not even that, it could have...serious side effects. I've been thinking about this, but you're getting worse, and I've done everything I can besides this." I felt his hand on my head. He brushed some of my hair from my face, but his hand was burning, and I could feel myself grimace at his touch. "Try and swallow this, but it's going to burn." He stated. I could feel the cool touch of the vial to my lips, and the liquid pouring in my mouth. I almost choked it out, but he held my mouth and nose closed, forcing me to swallow. After a moment, it, as he said it would, burned. It was much worse than the fever. I felt myself drift out of consciousness.

I dreamt of memories. Of my past, all up until now. My so-called family and their hatred for non-humans, as well as for me. I remembered the night I ran, the day I met Geralt as he killed the Kikimora, the day that the town showed their hatred for us, and the night Geralt really talked to me for the first time. Even that day we nearly kissed, as well as the day we made love. Am I dying? Is this it for me? Then, there was nothing. I then saw myself. I was standing across from myself, on a pond. She looked like me, but there was something eerie about her, about me. Something was wrong. I gasped as her appearance changed. The other me was enclosed in flames, the water thrashing underneath her. Her eyes became black. I tried to back up, tried to run but I couldn't. She lunged at me, and I couldn't even flinch. The blackness of her eyes wasn't just black, it was a darkness that felt like a void, pulling me in.

"You will end up like me if you cannot control what lies dormant inside you. It will come, and your choices will determine if it consumes you." The other me said, before transforming into a wraith, and screaming.

I shot up, panting. I looked around frantically. Geralt immediately made his way to me. He looked at me, concern in his eyes. He put his hand on my forehead, checking my temperature.

"Geralt..." I croaked out. My throat hurt, bad.

"Fever's broke. Hm." He grunted. He looked at me, examining me. His eyes were unreadable to me. What's going on inside his head? I went to uncover, but Geralt quickly looked away, a red tint on his face. I looked down, and quickly covered myself.

"Geralt, wh-where are my clothes?" I stammered out. He cleared his throat.

"Outside. I hung them on a tree. They needed to be cleaned." He stood up, and walked outside. A short moment later, he returned, and set the clothes at the end of the bed but then just...stood there.

"Um...could you turn around?" He stiffened awkwardly, and turned around quickly. I scooted to the edge of the bed. I know he's seen me naked before but I knew I haven't had a bath in awhile, and my dream...I became self conscious. I'm glad he didn't question it, since I didn't have a good way to explain it to him. I placed my feet on the cool floor. I grabbed my clothes and put my trousers on, and went to put my shirt on, but I couldn't tie it in the back.

"Hey, Geralt...could you tie my tunic? I can't reach." He turned and made his way over to me, to which I turned and faced my back to him. He brushed my hair from my back, and I felt his hands lightly brushing my back as he tied the strings, making his way up to my shoulders. Goosebumps appeared at his touch, which made me blush in embarrassment. He pulled me back against his chest. I looked up at him, and he leaned his head down, and kissed my shoulder. I closed my eyes and I leaned further back against him. He quickly turned me around, and he cupped my face with his hands. His beautiful golden eyes held admiration, and so much more that I couldn't discern. I put my hands on his shoulders and stepped closer to him. He leaned his head down, and rested his forehead on mine.

"I thought you were going to die, even before I gave you the potion." He murmured.

"Thanks to you, I'm alive."

"No, that was you. I don't know how or why, but it hasn't affected you in the typical way. But it did make you worse."

"How long was I out?" I asked. He sighed.

"Five days." I gasped out at his answer. He dropped his hands, wrapping them around my waist and pulled me into a hug, and buried his face in the crook of my neck. Five days? I wanted to tell Geralt of my dreams, and my memories. I don't know how to go about it, or what it even means. I decided to keep it to myself, until I can make a bit more sense of it. "What're you thinking about...hm?" He asked, leaning back.

"Just about what you were doing while I was out?" I lied quickly, though, it wasn't an entire lie. He looked at me a moment.

"Making sure you didn't die.." He stated gruffly. I pushed myself back into a hug. He lifted me up and sat on the bed, me in his lap. He stayed the whole time? Was he scared? Was I really that close to death? We just sat there. My head was leaned against his chest, and I listened to his breathing, and his heartbeat, calming myself. His head rested on mine. I enjoyed this...closeness to him. I wondered what he thought of me, of what he considers me to be, since he struggles with telling me. He loves me and that meant more than anything in this world..this world of monsters, and human depravity. Of sorcerers, and witchers. Of everything that's said about Witchers, none of them ever got to know one, and here I am, in love with Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher from the School of the Wolf, who is everything that isn't what they say he is.

Then the door was opened, and there was Jaskier. He had a huge grin on his face, as he saw us.

"Aw, aren't you two so cute together." He stated, making my face flush with embarrassment.

I froze, completely dumbfounded, it's been so long.

"Jaskier!" I exclaimed, quickly getting off Geralt and giving Jaskier a hug, which I heard Geralt growl in response. I quickly let go. He was a bit taller than when I last saw him.

"What do you want, Jaskier?" Geralt asked, his voice showing annoyance.

"Well, first of all, I wanted to make sure dear (Y/N) is alright since I heard from a different town that a witcher ran through, distressed about a woman. Speaking of, she certainly seems to be, and second it's certainly nice that we've ran into each other here, so I can join you again...especially once I heard it was a white-haired Witcher coming in."

"Get to the point."

"Okay...okay...well - "

"Witcher! I'm sorry to disturb, but there's a selkiemore requires your services. I'll give you what you paid me." Geralt sighed and nodded, accepting the contract. The innkeeper left, and Jaskier turned to Geralt.

"Ooh, see...another story for me to write, being the bard that I am." Jaskier said, to which Geralt merely grunted, definitely irritated.

"Jaskier...leave."

"Fine...I'll be downstairs ready to write about this monster slaying adventure." He said before quickly turning and going out the door. I closed it behind him, and Geralt got up, getting ready.

"You'll stay here, for now....make sure Jaskier doesn't get into any trouble."

"I need to freshen up anyway, and I will." I had no issue staying, since I'm not fit right now to fight regardless of what I'm fighting." I said, preparing for my bath. I turned towards him as he stepped near me, ready to go.

"Be careful, Geralt." To which he simply nodded. He leaned down, kissing me gently before turning and leaving. As I heard his footsteps recede, I drew my bath, and got in. 

1569 words! I finally got it updated. I hope you guys like it!

Have an amazing day, and don't be afraid to comment, I will respond as quickly as possible, and I love to read what you guys have to say! <3