Chapter 30

Halfway to the hospital I changed my mind. I quickly asked officer Madsen for a ride home instead. He obliged before turning his cruiser around. I thanked him for the ride before I ran inside my building. Once inside my apartment, I grabbed my car keys and ran back downstairs. I was intent on heading back to the hospital.

I was surprised to see Derek in the lobby when I got back to the hospital.

"Why aren't you in bed?" I half scolded him.

"They're releasing me. I was going to grab a cab to Nick's." He said, scratching the back of his neck.

"I can drive you." I mumbled.

He smiled and nodded, then proceeded to follow me outside. We walked to my car and Derek told me how to get to Nick's place.

"So.. where are you going to stay?" I asked nonchalantly.

Derek began scratching the back of his neck again. I smiled to myself when I remembered he always did that when he was nervous.

"I'll crash with Nick for a few days, then see if I can get another hotel-"

"You could stay with me." I blurted out.

Derek looked at me in utter shock, "Really?"

"Yeah, Maddie is gone home for a few weeks, so her room is empty." I said sheepishly.

He smiled, "thanks for the offer peaches, but I don't think that's a good idea right now."

"Why not?" I asked curiously.

Derek shook his head, "you're feeling vulnerable right now and I don't want you to think I'm taking advantage of that."

I nodded, I understood his reasoning but it still upset me a little. We stopped in Nick's driveway. I was surprised at how close he lived to my apartment. I felt a little guilty for accusing him of following me home a few weeks ago now.

Derek looked at the clock and cursed. "Shit, Nick is still at work. He won't be home for a few more hours."

I snickered to myself when I remembered he was my teacher. I really should be in class.

"You want to go grab a coffee while we wait?" I asked sheepishly.

Derek nodded, "I guess I owe you a few explanations anyway."

I sighed, nodding as well. I parked my car back at my apartment building and we made the short walk to the Cafe. We ordered our drinks and sat at one of the booths near the back. We sat in silence for a few minutes before I broke it.

"Why didn't you tell me your name had been cleared?" I half snapped.

"Would you have believed me?" He bit back with just as much force.

"Fair enough." I sighed. "How did Andrew frame you anyway?"

"He planted evidence in my cabin. Some of it was circumstantial, but one of the knives had my fingerprints on it. That was enough for them to arrest me." Derek spoke quietly.

"I thought they drowned though? What about those two guys you attacked the day I left?" I asked.

"They were stabbed and thrown in the water. So technically they still drowned. Those other guys jumped me when I went out looking for you. I didn't kill them, it just looked alot worse then it was." He admitted, his voice fading to a whisper.

"You told me you met Nick by chance, that was obiviously a lie if he's your twin." I huffed.

He nodded, "I knew he was still your teacher at the time. Not that you'd made the connection by then anyway. But I couldn't tell you he was my brother or you'd think I had him spying on you. Which I guess I did for a little while."