Chapter 5

As I groggily opened my eyes, I felt as if someone was hammering into my skull. I groaned, grabbing my pillow and placing it over my face. I closed my eyes again, waiting for the wave of sickness to pass over me. I must have fell back to sleep because I jolted awake when my phone rang.

     'Hello?' I said still half asleep.

     'Alex? Where are you?'

     'Maddie? I'm home, where are you?'

     'Open your door.' She said before hanging up.

     I crawled out of my bed, slowly making my way to the door. I unlocked it and pulled it open, revealing a very worried looking Maddie. She pushed the door back and pulled me into a hug. A sigh of relief left her as she squeezed me tighter.

    'What's wrong?' I asked patting her on the back.

     'I've been by 3 times Alex! Why didn't you answer the door?' She said pulling away from me to close the door.

     'I was in bed.' I yawned, plopping down on the couch next to her.

     Maddie's eyes widened. She got up and disappeared in the hall. I pulled the blanket off the back of the couch and wrapped it around myself. I shivered, settling myself further into the couch. Maddie reappeared from the hallway, a look of shock on her face.

    'You actually slept in your bed?'

     I yawned, nodding at her as I did so. 'I do sleep in my bed sometimes.'

    'Alex, I've only seen you sleep in your bed twice before now. You've been here two months.' Maddie huffed, sitting back on the couch.

     'I must have been pretty drunk when I got home. I don't even remember coming in.' I chuckled.

     Maddie blushed, ' I'm so sorry I ditched you. You looked like you were having fun with Adrian though.'

     I searched my memory for something, anything to explain how I got home. I came up blank. Did it really matter though? I was home, safe and sound.

      ' The last thing I remember was dancing with Adrian. He went and got us drinks, everything after that is just gone.' I said half confused. How did I get drunk so fast?

     Maddie frowned, ' He didn't hurt you, did he?'

      I shook my head, ' Hell no, he's not like that Maddie '

     I froze for a second, or is he? I shook the thought from my mind. Maddie was just being overprotective again. I guess I couldn't blame her.

      ' Wanna watch a movie?' I quickly changed the subject.

     ' Sure.'

     Maddie and I spent the day watching movies. She told me about the guy she met last night and how they were going on a date next Saturday. She seemed really excited about it. I was happy for her.

      ' Well, I'm going to turn in for the night. Want to go for a coffee tomorrow morning?' Maddie chirped as she hopped off the couch.

     I nodded, following her to the door. We hugged and she made her way down the hall to the stairwell. Once she was out of view, I closed my door and locked it.

     I stretched, making my way back to my room to get my phone. I hadn't checked it all day. I was really surprised to see so many missed messages when I unlocked the screen.

     Four were from Maddie this morning. Asking where I was and if I was okay. The other 12 were from Adrian. Two were from last night. One at 1:30am asking where I was, and the second at 3am telling me he was going home, I think. The words were spelt incorrectly and very sloppy. The other 10 were from today asking if I was okay, if I was mad at him, why I was ignoring him, begging me to please talk to him, etc.