NINE

CHAPTER NINE;
the unfortunate ones

   WHEN LEAH WOKE UP a few hours later, they had set course back to the US

WHEN LEAH WOKE UP a few hours later, they had set course back to the US. According to Sam, they were meeting someone that Bucky knew. Leah didn't really get any other information, but something inside of her was silently telling her that she probably didn't want to know.

Bucky observed her quietly as she rose to her feet and stretched her arms towards the ceiling. He had been keeping track on her when she slept— in case she had a nightmare. He noticed dark bruises over her skin when her shirt accidentally rode up over her side, exposing her smooth-looking skin. His eyes respectfully moved away, feeling like he was intruding and invading her privacy.

«You snore pretty loud,» He suddenly teased her, Sam's lips lifting up into a small smile at the interaction.

«That's such a lie,» Leah denied, although her cheeks were burning.

«You also mentioned my name,» He hummed, joking with her as a smirk spread over his lips.

Leah rolled her eyes before she glared at him. She was changing her socks, taking her chance to throw one of her used ones in his direction. He easily dodged it as he chuckled at her. «Shut up,» she laughed under her breath, shaking her head at the older male.

They arrived a couple of hours later. The trio walked down the empty street together. Sam got stopped by two kids on their way there but, eventually, they reached the wooden house in question. Leah stood back as they knocked, a young boy standing behind the door as he looked at the two unfamiliar males.

«We're here to see Isaiah,» Bucky explained.

«Nobody named Isiah lives here.»

A solid five minutes passed as they bickered back and forth. They were let inside after another five minutes. The atmosphere felt heavy and Leah felt the sudden urge to disappear. Anxiety spread through her small body as she played with her hands subconsciously, fidgeting uncomfortably. She felt as if they were intruding— which they were.

«This is, uh, Sam and Leah. Sam, Leah, this is Isaiah. He was a hero. One of the ones that HYDRA feared the most. Like Steve. We met in '51.» Bucky said. Neither Sam or Leah had heard of the unfamiliar male.

«If by met, you mean I whupped your ass, then, yeah. We heard whispers he was on the peninsula, but everyone they sent after him, never came back. So the U.S. military dropped me behind the line to go deal with him. I took half that metal arm in that fight in Goyang, but I see he's managed to grow it back. I just wanted to see if he got the arm back. Or if he'd come to kill me.» Isaiah said.

Leah looked at Bucky as the taller males spoke. Her eyes got stuck on him as she tried to focus on something— other than how anxious she was becoming with the situation and conversation.

«I'm not a killer anymore,» Bucky said, causing Leah to cross her arms over her chest.

«You think you can wake up one day and decide who you wanna be? It doesn't work like that. Well, maybe it does for folks like you.»

She saw his face fall at the harsh words, even if he was quick to recover. His eyes still gave it away—even if she was unable to tell the color of his eyes. Leah could feel the sadness radiate from him as he reeked of guilt and regret, the heavy feelings coursing through her. She struggled to focus on the rest of the conversation. She was replaying Isaiah's words about Bucky inside her head. She was soon awoken from her deep thoughts as Isaiah threw something into the wall. The force of his throw was so hard it went straight through the wooden wall with no trouble.

They all exited the house quickly upon his request. Leah felt sick again, and she could tell Sam did too. Sadness mixed with rage and helplessness. Sam spoke to Bucky quickly as they walked next to each other. She knew it wasn't her fight to take, even if she agreed with Sam.

«Hey, is there a problem here?» A police officer suddenly interrupted them.

«No, we're just talking.»

«We are fine.»

Leah watched the officer as he looked between Bucky and her, approaching Sam again, requesting his ID with no real or valid reason.

«Man seriously,» Bucky groaned in frustration the same time Leah spoke; «Dude are you for real?»

«Okay, sir, just calm down,» The officer said. He was still speaking to Sam although Leah and Bucky had done most of the talking.

«I am calm. What do you want? We're just standing here, talking,» Sam finally spoke.

«Just give him your ID so we can get the hell out of here,» Bucky groaned.

«No, he has no reason to check Sam's ID,» Leah argued with Bucky.

«No, I'm not giving him shit. We're just talking,» Sam spoke to all of them.

«Hey, hey. Look, is this guy bothering you?» the unnamed officer touched Leah's shoulder as he spoke to her and Bucky.

Leah coldly glared at him before she moved his hand off her. «You're bothering me more than anyone,» she told him firmly.

«No, he's not bothering me or her or anyone else. Look, do you know who this is?» Bucky quickly said as the officer shot Leah a warning-look.

Suddenly another police officer emerged, walking up to the current man with quick steps. The three of them watched as the officer switched his attitude around and started to apologize. The unknown officer chuckled, «I didn't recognize you without the goggles.»

«That doesn't make it any better,» Leah commented briskly under her breath as she wrapped her arms over her chest.

She felt Bucky at her, his eyes scanning her face for a moment. His lips would've lifted up into a small smile if the situation had been different.

«Mr. Barnes, there's a warrant out for your arrest,» Another officer suddenly spoke, making Sam confused whereas Leah had her own suspicions of what it might concern.

«Look, the president pardoned him for all that-»

«Not for that. You missed your court-mandated therapy.»

They watched as Bucky got arrested. By the look on Sam's face, Leah assumed he had no clue that Bucky was even in therapy. A small sigh left her lips as she leaned over a bit, her ribs starting to hurt and ache under her soft skin. The toll of the fight was slowly kicking in.

«I guess we are going to have couple's therapy after all,» Leah sighed again as her eyes met Sam's.

★ ☆