TWENTY-EIGHT

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT;
home

   A SIGH LEFT her parting lips as her cold hands brushed the dark strands of her hair into a tight ponytail

A SIGH LEFT her parting lips as her cold hands brushed the dark strands of her hair into a tight ponytail. The tips of her fingers slid down the side of her face, tracing her jaw while the female tilted her head. Leah met her own eyes in the rear-view mirror, the rich brown staring back at her. The red lights above her shifted to green and the car to her right shot forward, a roaring sound leaving the modern BMW that shone under the inexpensive city lights. She scoffed at the obnoxiously loud noise. She wasn't impressed. The dark haired female pressed the gas down, only having to dab the pedal lightly with her foot. Her own sports car edged forward and she easily passed the poser that had been bothering her the whole ride.

«You have a new text from Sam.» Friday announced, her smooth voice filling the quiet car. Leah hadn't bothered putting on any music. She had to stay alert and blasting one of her many playlists would more than likely have the opposing effect.

«Closing in on New York.» Friday read the message. Leah stayed quiet for a moment as she was ironically trying to find a parking-spot. The streets were busy with people and vehicles, padding the large road and making it difficult for the girl to think straight. If it was up to Leah she wouldn't have taken her car to begin with. STARK-Industries was located in the outskirts of the city and making a detour to leave her car at home would have taken too much time.

«Friday would you mind finding a parking spot?» She asked the AI, lifting her hands off the steering wheel. Mere minutes passed until the vehicle was parked in a secluded area. It wasn't too far from the location that Sam had sent her earlier. It was still in the heart of city.

Leah reached over and retrieved her phone, sliding it open with her index finger. She ran her thumb over the screen. Her unoccupied hand moved to open the door, eyes stuck on the device in her hand as she was updating the other male with her status. Her legs stopped in front of the trunk, sliding her foot under the car as the back-door swiftly opened without a squeak. Her hand roamed blindly for her weapons, thumb still attempting to write her short but concise message to Sam. Her fingertips slid over the sharp blade and she tugged it to her waistband, adding another one to her other side. She pressed send and let her iPhone sink until it hit the bottom of her pocket. Her brown eyes lingered over the mini Uzi that laid in the organized boot. She shook her head, deciding to leave the violent gun behind. Enough people had lost their life to the cause. Leah didn't feel like contributing to the growing list.

Sirens were booming in the distance. The noise increased when the female got closer to the expensive building that stood large in lower Manhattan. Officers let her pass through their restrains, aware of who she was and her arrival to the scene. Bucky was pacing inside the lower part of the glass structure. He had arrived minutes before her, missing her with a few mili-seconds as the pair had headed toward two different directions. Bucky ripped his eyes from the transparent ceiling as he was handed a phone from an unknown lady. A weary look spread across his face and as he pressed the phone to his ear and shifted to his left Leah passed his right side that was blocked by a white wall, the duo oblivious to one another's presence.