10

Mateo Haynes

"What's your deal asshole?"

Looking up from the amount of papers I have piled on my desk I met the pretty, yet angry brown eyes of a little fire cracker; although she wasn't so little anymore.

I lean back in my chair and smile at her. "Hello little sister, oh how I've missed your flare."

"Cut the crap, Mateo," she says walking over to my desk. She throw her pink hello Kitty bag on my desk and pop her butt in the seat facing me. "You lost the title of brother when you cheated on my sister."

I eyed the childish bag, "Aren't you too old for such fashion?" I nod towards the bag.

"It's part of my aesthetic, now answer my question."

I smile at her. Out of Anika's two sister, Alana was always my favourite. Sure Akira is great, but Alana reminds me of the female version of myself. She's like the little sister I always imagined.

"Why don't you ask your sister?"

"I intend to," Alana says looking me up and down.

"Then what's stopping you?"

She shrug and glance around my office.

"Is this your way of getting to see me Alana? I know you miss your big brother."

Alana scruff and look back at me. "Keep dreaming. I only came here to warn you that if you hurt my sister in anyway possible I will hurt you this time."

I know she wasn't bluffing and even though I wasn't scared of such a little thing, I do respect her and I would never do anything to hurt Anika again. I made a mistake once. History wasn't about to repeat itself. I wanted to talk to Raymond today about taking over the local branch, but I've been a bit caught up with all the work I have to complete before flying out to L.A for Giovanni and Ciara's wedding.

"I promise you Alana. I have no intention of hurting your sister. She's now dating my employee and she agreed to babysit for me. That is all there is to it. Now I would suggest you talk to your sister if you have anymore questions." Taking up the stamp that held my signature, I begin to stamp a few more papers. From the raise eyebrow to the frown on Alana's face I could tell she wanted to ask more, however I wasn't in the mood.

She pick her bag up from my desk and stand from her seat.

"We should have lunch together sometime," I told her while watching her leave my office.

"Not happening pretty boy," she says.

Just as she yank the door open someone stubbled in.

"Busted," Alana sings as her older sister stare at her in shock.

Anika pushes her sister further inside my office and close the door behind her. "Alana, what are you doing here?"

"Shouldn't I be asking you that my sweet sister?" Alana ask sardonically. "Who is this handsome little guy?"

Only then I realized that Luca was clutching to Anika's side while holding her hand.

I stand from my seat and walk over to them. "Ladies I think you should go out and talk. I'll take Luca for the rest of the day."

Anika looks at me before looking back at her sister. "I'll take Luca with me, we have his homework to complete."

"In that case take my card." Retrieving my wallet from my pocket, I remove my black card and held it out in front of Anika.

"I don't want—"

Before Anika could get all the words out, Alana snatches the card from my hand.

"It's the least you can do. I'll buy us something nice," she says pointing between her sister and herself.

I smile with a nod. "I have absolutely no problem with that, buy whatever your heart desire."

"This card might be top tier but I don't think it can buy me a sexy and sweet guy who knows when to keep it in his pants." With that said Alana gave her sister one last look before leaving my office.

"I'm sorry," Anika says looking nervous and apologetic.

"No need to apologize moonshine. We both know your sister is a handful."

She nods. "I wanted to ask you if it is possible for you to talk to Ray today. I know you're busy but he's meeting my family on Sunday and I heard you're flying out."

My mood dimmed. He was meeting her family already? Unlike our meeting I know that they will like him, especially her father. It's not a bad thing but I couldn't help but feel jealous.

I nod. "I have Ciara and Giovanni's wedding to attend. I'm the best man."

I watch as Anika face lights up. I know she loves wedding and I wish I didn't screw up. If I didn't she would have been my date.

"That's amazing, I would love to meet the woman who turned Giovanni into the marrying type." Her excitement faded and I couldn't understand why.

"She would love to meet you as well, I'm sure of it." Handing Luca a lollypop I walk back over to my table and took a seat. "I'll make sure to talk to him today."

Anika nods,"Thank you Mateo."

Giving her a small smile, I nod.

Anika Vargas

        I watch as Alana take a sip of her smoothie. We were seated in an outside booth at one of our favourite Cafe, with her smiling at Luca who was also sipping on his Oreo smoothie while kicking his feet back and forth.

"You are such a cutie," Alana says gaining a smile from Luca. She loves kids and animals, but seem to have a problem with grown-ups.

I wondered when she would fire all her questions at me. She was now busy munching on her fries.

"I know what you are thinking Nika, just give me a minute let me finish my smoothie before dealing with you."

Instead of answering I watch as she takes the cover from the smoothie cup and drown the liquid before taking bites of the cinnamon stick until there was nothing left. I don't know how she is able to eat a damn cinnamon stick.

"Anika I know you more than anyone else does, which is why I'm concerned about you. I need to know why you're hanging around that imbecile, while you have that other imbecile falling for you."

I sigh. "It's not what you're thinking Alana."

"I'm listening."

Aftering telling my little sister everything and using code words even though Luca seemed more interested in his food, the only thing she said was okay.

I raised my brows at her."Okay?"

She nods, "Yes, okay. What else do you want me to say Anika? You're grown, even though I don't like that you're hiding that you were married to that a-hole from that Mama's boy, I will stand with you no matter the outcome."

I smile at her. I love both my sister's equally, but I know that Akira would have made a big deal out of this and she would have made me tell Raymond about my divorce right away. She would have my head if she found out that Mateo and I are even on speaking terms.

"Thanks A."

Alana shrugs, "It's what I do, but you still have to worry about dad spilling the tea Sunday at dinner. I'll try my best to talk to him, but I can't make any promises that he will actually listen. You know our dad."

I nod. I do know him and that's what worries me.