7

Anima Vargas

               This is unbelievable. I look at the man who I made things official with last night at dinner, then the one I walked out on without a word after he confess his love for me.

The latter had an amuse look on his face with his hands in his pant pockets; he was up to something. Ray; however, was just plain clueless.

“Don’t I have a say in this?”

“The lady always has a say,” Mateo answers smugly.

I glance at Ray, who had a pleading look; it seems as if he was using me to get on the good side of his boss. He too would get something out of it.

“Fine, I’ll babysit him until your assistant finds someone permanent.” I glance at Mateo, “I’ll drop him off at school on my way to see my dad.”

Unfortunately, I had to see him today regarding the Cafe. I had a few suggestions that I hope he will at least consider. Suddenly Mateo amused look was replaced with a stoic expression. He didn’t get along with dad even after we got married therefore the mention of him clearly reminded him of those times.

Ray snake his arms around my waist from behind and kiss my cheek, “Thank you, Hermosa.”

Mateo nod while looking elsewhere. I felt a bit awkward being in the presence of both men, especially with Ray PDA. I felt like this is how a woman who is seeing two men at the same time would feel if they are in the same room together. Even though this was not the case.

“I’ll pay you for your time, just name your price,” Mateo spoke up.

He should have known better. “There’s no need for that, I like the little guy.”

He was ready to protest but gave up the moment he saw me narrowing my eyes at him.

“Fine,” he surrender.

“Where is he, anyway?” Ray ask.

Mateo nod towards his office door, just then Luca and Lola rush in followed by a man. I raise a brow as I watch the cute nerdy looking guy enter; I gave Mateo a sneaky glance but he refuse to meet my gaze, however the fact that he had fired that home-wrecker and got a male assistant instead wasn’t what surprise me.

Instead of running to me, Lola made her way to Mateo who look just as happy to see her. I watch with my mouth slightly agape as he picks her up and pats her head.

Even Ray was astonished by her reaction to him. “What did you do to make her react to you like that?”

Mateo glance at Ray, “You might be one of my best employee, but that is our little secret,” He motion to Luca and Lola.

Luca giggles the moment Mateo wink at him and I suddenly wish I was in on their little secret.

“Did you enjoy your time with Anika yesterday?” Mateo asks him.

Luca glance at me before looking at Mateo and nodding his head,"She made me help her make pizza, and she makes reading fun."

I couldn’t help laughing at how adorable he was while pronouncing most of his words incorrectly. This also brought a smile on Mateo’s face.

“She does?” Mateo asks playfully to which Luca nod. “Then you won’t mind her watching you until Harry finds you a nanny?”

Luca seem to consider this, “Does Lola get to stay too?”

Mateo nod.

“Then I want her to stay forever!”

I walk over to him and pick him up, “I am very hurt Luca. I thought you like me but it turns out you like my dog instead.” I pout and pretend to cry.

I felt tiny palms against my cheeks, I open my eyes to see baby blue ones looking at me, “Please don’t cry eka, I like you too. You're nice to me and...” he look around the room before choosing to whisper the last part of what he had to say in my ear, “Uncle Mat likes you too.”

I glance at Mateo, who stood with Lola watching us with a concern look. Did he say something to Luca, because if he was using this child to get to me that would be low of him.

“Don’t get too attached Luca, she might just break your heart when she leaves.”

I roll my eyes at Mateo, “Now why did you have to say something like that to him?”

Thankfully Luca was busy wrapping and unwrapping my hair around his tiny fingers. Mateo shrug, moving to sit around his desk, placing Lola on his lap.

“He’s never too young to learn these things Hermosa, little man has to protect his heart. Isn’t that right Harry?” Ray ask.

“Sure thing, sir.”

“Men,” I roll my eyes, “Come on Lola.”

Mateo Haynes

       I watch the snake on the other side of the table. She wore a smug smile while playing with the pen that she should use to sign the damn papers.

“You don’t have to agree to his terms Ms Lavigne.”

I chuckle at the nonsense that spilled from her Lawyer’s mouth. John, who is my Lawyer was also amused. This woman was place in a position where I have all the control.

“Don’t you want to see your son?” Her lawyer asks.

Jasmine look up from the papers with an amuse look. She used her left hand where some imbecile had placed a ring, to brush away her brunette hair.

“Why would I want to see that dumb kid?” I watch in anger as the heartless bitch sign the papers, “he belongs to this asshole and his stupid family now!”

She stood from her chair, snatching her white designer purse.

“I never knew what my cousin saw in you, didn’t know what his uncle saw either. You are the most ignorant and vile woman I have ever met and I hope you get everything you deserve.”

She raise her hand showing me her ring that is clearly far cheaper than the one Giovanni was going to use propose to her.

An unpleasant sound left her dark red lips, “Clearly that’s already happening.”

I watch as she flip her hair one last time before leaving the boardroom. I sat back in my seat wondering how a mother could just abandon her child like that. Ciara had grown attached to Luca the same day they met, Anika was clearly fond of him —yet the woman who gave birth to him wanted no part in his life.

“Congratulations Mr Haynes, you are officially the adopted father of Luca Amendola.”