Chapter 28: Together

"Revvin' up your engine
Listen to her howlin' roar
Metal under tension
Beggin' you to touch and go
Highway to the Danger Zone
Ride into the Danger Zone"

"Revvin' up your engineListen to her howlin' roarMetal under tensionBeggin' you to touch and goHighway to the Danger ZoneRide into the Danger Zone"

The drive was long, even though Fry offered to switch with Clara so she could get some rest she refused and what happened? Fry was asleep. Both him and Thomas were passed out in the back seat while Clara and Newt were still up. It was silent as not many words were spoken between the two.

The sun was almost all the way up and it shined right in Newts eyes. He pulled down the visor and was met with a few polaroid pictures falling on his lap. Newt didn't say anything as he looked through them.

One was of Clara and Carter laughing at something, another of Aaron, Carter, and Clara leaning against Blu with serious faces. Then one of Carter holding Clara in his arms as they smiled.

"Is this..."

"Mhm."  Clara nodded as she looked at the pictures slightly, smiling as she stared at the road ahead.

"That's Carter.  He was amazing."  She smiled at the thought of him.  "You would've liked him. Minho and him would've got along."

"He was that amazing, huh?" Newt smiled softly, enjoying how happy she was talking about Carter.

"Him and Aaron were like brothers. The two were like little fire crackers...I accidentally called them George and Nick one time by accident." She nodded, as she took in a deep breath.

Newt looked out the window for a moment before he looked at the pictures in his lap. "Bet that was a story to tell, right?" Newt asked and she let out a nervous laugh. "Sure was."

Clara pulled up as a tunnel was now in their way. She put the car in park and turned to look in the back seat, as the two were still asleep. She took her seatbelt off as she sat there, looking at the dark tunnel. "I miss them so much." She let out a deep breath, shaking her head slightly.

"All of them. I miss the smell of the grass, the taste of Gally's weird shanking drink." She chuckled softly before continuing. "The way everyone felt at a bonfire. I miss playing cards against Zart..."

Newt nodded his head as he never took his eyes off her. He could hear the sadness in each word and the tears that were in her eyes.

"But most of all, I miss Nick's smiling face whenever he would walk in the MedJacks when he injured himself.

Hearing George laugh.

The long talks with Stephen.

Leo running his hand through his hair when he was nervous.

And Gally's hugs..."

Clara's lips trembled and she quickly wiped her eyes, clearing her throat as she took in a deep breath, calming herself. "I can't lose Minho, Newt." She shook her head. "I can't lose anymore people...none of us can."