Chapter 4: One Year & Two Months In

"You feel that you should run
But where are you to hide
In the water
Against the tide we struggle
To keep...our heads above the deep
& our hearts above the lie"

our heads above the deep& our hearts above the lie"

"I win again."  Clara smiled as she grabbed the cards and put them back in their stack.

"Dammit.  I don't get how you're this good."  Clint groaned as he lost for the fourth time in a row.

"Just have to be faster."  She started to shuffle the worn out cards.  That was the first thing she asked the creators for, a deck of cards.

It kept the two of them busy in the Medjacks.  Half the time they had nothing to do and just waited for someone to get an injury.  One time Clint was so bored he asked Clara if he should go give someone an injury just so the two could do something.

"Might as well."  Clint nodded and he tapped the table.  When Clara got to handing out the seventh card to Clint the buzzer went off.

"Greenie time!"  Clint quickly got out of his chair, Clara following behind as the two ran over to the box with some others.

Gally and Leo opened up the box as they saw the greenie shielding his eyes, confusion written all over his face as he saw many faces looking down at him. 

George was the one that jumped down in the box with a smile on his face.  "Welcome aboard to the Glade express greenie.  One ticket in with no exit."  George told him.

"Tickets. Ticket please." Some random glader said from the back, making others laugh.

"George don't scare the shank."  Leo told him, laughing.

"What?"  George asked.  "Come on.  Give us a rope."  George gestured.

"Remember your name greenie?"  George questioned as the rope hit his head.

"Ow!"  George exclaimed and the others laughed once again.

"Uh-I'm-I'm Zart."  The greenie said.

"Good that."  George gave him a nod and handed him the rope.  "After you."

Zart hesitantly took the rope and when he did the others above pulled him out. After Zart was pulled up, George was pulled out next.

"Where am I?"

"Yeah. No, questions come in later. Just try and relax." George told the greenie.

"Alright. Who wants to be on greenie duty?" George questioned and some gladers walked away and others looked in another direction.

"Fine. I'll do it. Come on greenie." George gestured for him to follow and the greenie looked around with fear in his eyes before walking after George.

"Is it just me or do they get more scared each month?" Clara questioned.

"It's just you." Stephen whispered from behind her, making Clara jump and whack his arm. "Holy shuck Stephen." She breathed out as he smiled innocently.

"Shouldn't you be working?" Clara questioned him and he just shrugged.

"Gally won't mind.  Especially since I'm talking to his favorite person."  Stephen said and Clara shook her head slightly.

"Oh, so you're using me to get out of your job?"  She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Clara..."

Stephen started as he rested one hand behind his back and his other in front of him, his index finger pointing to the sky as he had a serious look on his face.

"That is exactly what I'm doing."  He confirmed.

Clint let out a snort then headed away from the two, heading back to the Medjacks.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about something." Stephen said once Clint was out of ear range.

"Sure. What about?" She questioned, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I had an usual dream last night..." Stephen started as he looked up at the sky slightly, licking his lips then looking back at her.

"I think it was some sort of memory thing." He nodded as he continued.

Clara watched him carefully, not saying anything, letting him continue. Stephen breathed out as he looked around slightly, almost making sure no one was there.

"I heard this man and woman talk. I think the woman's name was Paige...I-I don't really remember." Stephen started to look pale and his hands trembled.

"Hey, hey. It's alright. Let's go somewhere more private." She gave him a reassuring smile.

"Ok." Stephen said softly and Clara gently grabbed his hand and pulled him across the glade, deep into the deadheads where she knew they wouldn't be bothered.

The two sat down against a tree of a trunk, their shoulders touching each other slightly as Stephen looked ahead of him.

"They're planning something big. The creators. I just know it. Something bad is going to happen, and we won't be able to stop it." Stephen turned his head at his last sentence, looking in her eyes.

"We have each other Stephen. As long as we have each other, everything will be alright. They can't get to us and tear us apart-"

"No. No. You don't understand." Stephen shook his head, cutting her off. He turned his body so he was looking at her directly.

"They can. They're going to tear us apart and Clara...you're going to get hurt. They said some things. Like, another test they're going to do and you're the main target.  I fear for your life."  Stephen told her honestly, taking in a deep breath.

"You're one of my closest friends here and I don't want to see you get hurt."  He continued then paused.

Clara's eyes widened a bit with fear as she heard Stephen explain this to her. She was the main target? Something bad was going to happen to her? All these thoughts were running around in her head.

"Just please..." Stephen grabbed her hand with both of his hands and looked into her eyes, his eyes held worry.

"Please be careful. Watch out, listen to what other gladers are saying...I just know a storm is coming our way and it's going to change all of us." His voice was pleading and Clara gave him a small nod, placing her free hand on top of his.

"I will."

**Oop.  If y'all read Fever Code then you know what's coming next chapter.  Prepare yourselves...it's gonna be messy**

**In the Water ~ Anadel**