The Days of a Typical Teenage Black Girl

As I'm walking up to the old building I sigh and pull on the door only to be hit by the aroma of axe, body odor and the lame excuse of school food. As I walk down the hallway in my black skinny jeans, teal pull over sweater and white sperrys I cant help but feel cute. I know my pants are hugging my butt the perfect way as I sashay to my locker, my hair is just in a pony tail, l matched my outfit with a cute headband that hide the strugglin baby hairs on my head. Being African American I tried my best to not look broke when it came to my hair especially since I dont have a weave to cover up my natural hair, though I did thank God for the perm otherwise known as the black womans creamy crack. Then reality hit as I realized again where I am, school, and it brings me right out of that dream. I look around taking in my surroundings and cant help but laugh to myself, it is hilarious to see the 5 foot nothing guys walking down the hallway trying to spit game to the girls of my high school knowing full well that the girls don't want to hear their sorry excuses for pickup lines at 7 in the morning on a monday. Its funny to me to know that one of the guys I see walking now was my biggest crush last year as a freshman. There he stood, looking so chill with his jeans and football sweatshirt, his hair was perfectly lined and he is one of the few guys at my school that is taller than my hight, 5'11'', and black, his name is Jaxon. Dont even get me started on how I used to swoon, but thats in the past. It took me over a year to finally get the nerve to even talk to him and when I finally did, he asked me to help ask his girlfriend to homecoming. Talk about bad timing. Anyways I turned my attention back to the task at hand, as i grabbed my history book and folder out of my locker. As i did this my best friend Kennedy came up to me.

"Hey Peyton" Kennedy said "Hey chica!" I replied.

"How was your weekend?" Kennedy said.

"Ugh it was okay I got to see my sister, but I'm sad she had to leave again" My sister,Maya, went to a in state college about 5 hours away from home so I didnt see her often unless her boyfriend came to town in which she would just then catch a ride with him.

"Oh that sounds like fun!" Kennedy said her being from a family with 5 other brothers she had always wanted a sister and a bestfriend relationship like the one my Maya and I had.

"It was but it just sucks that we have practice today" I said changing the subject, Kennedy and I were both on the varsity cheerleading team here and both dreaded the brutal 3 hour practices after school just knowing we would be sore the next day.

"I know but at least this is the only day this week for you since youre visiting Whitman state this week" said Kennedy.

"I told you you should have signed up!" but I was cut off by the bell telling us we had 5 minutes before school started.

Kennedy and I linked arms and walked off in the direction of our classrooms, we did this every morning except when I was late to school, which was a lot. The lady at the attendance office officially hates me for constantly bringing her notes to excuse my tardiness. It was only a short distance between our lockers since all the cheerleaders had lockers together and our first classes. As I broke off with her we said goodbye and I entered my class while she continued to go to english.

As I sat down and prepared for the day i took out my cheez-its and grape juice. I always ate in class even though we wernt supposed to because I never ate breakfast, my teacher never called me out though because usually im the only one who actually does something in that class.

Just as i opened my juice box, and was about to take a sip, in walkes a tall samoan guy with short slicked back black hair and muscles that made my mouth hang open. I quickly recovered just as he turned around to look at his new desk. My eyes immediately went to where he was looking and I was horrified that it was the one next to mine. I mean dont get me wrong, this boy, excuse me man, was fine capital F but I knew that if he sat there I wouldnt be able to breathe much less pay attention for the rest of the year. He slowly made his way over and I did a quick assesment. One, he had on levi's that hung low enough to show that he doesnt care but not enough for him to technically be considered sagging. Two he had on a navy blue t-shirt under an grey cardigan that clung to his muscles as well as matched his gray vans. And three he was smiling right at me.