Chapter 22. The Plan.

I hadn't told Emma about my conversation with Draco, because I didn't want to get in trouble, but Emma did suspect Malfoy knew more about it. We were both worried sick about Luna, even though Draco kept telling me she was alright.

"She may be alright, but she's not at school where she's supposed to be!" I said one day, when Draco and I were discussing the matter again. It was a chilly Sunday morning in late January. We had met up at the Astronomy Tower after breakfast. I knew I was annoying Draco by constantly talking about Luna, but I thought it was about time the Death Eaters released her.

'They're not planning on releasing her, if that's what you were hoping," Draco said, as if he had read my mind.

"Why? The Quibbler doesn't say much about He Who Must Not Be Named anymore," I said indignantly.

"What do you think people will think if they let her go? They'll think the Death Eaters are soft and can be reasoned with. They'll demand more."

"If they don't let her go, I'll save her myself," I said in a rush of emotions.

"Ha! You won't even make it through our front door!" Draco mocked. He shook his head, smiling, and stared at the mountains.

"I would if you're with me," I remarked.

Draco gave me a sideway glance and sighed. "Don't even think about it."

"Remember I saved your life?" I asked.

"Yes, and I asked you to the Spring Ball in return," Draco replied casually.

"And after that we got together."

"What exactly are you trying to say?"

"A school dance isn't a matter of life and death. This is. This is about a friend."

"Your friend. If my father finds out I associate with friends of scumsuckers-"

"Yes, I get it. Your precious reputation," I sighed. Draco obviously didn't want to help me.

"I'm really sorry, Keira," Draco said. I knew he was trying to sound sincere, but I could see he wanted me to shut up about it. If Draco couldn't help me, I had to come up with a plan myself. I knew that I, Keira Tacendi, one of the cleverest students of Hogwarts, could do that. In fact, a plan was taking shape inside my head already.

"I still need a book from the library, actually. I'll go fetch it now," I announced.

Draco seemed relieved that he wouldn't have to talk about Luna's rescue anymore. "Sure, I actually have some studying to do. Shall we meet in the Room of Requirement this afternoon?" he asked smoothly.

I nodded and dashed off to the library. My plan required a special Potions book. Unfortunately, it dwelled in the Restricted Section. However, hadn't Professor Flitwick offered his help concerning Luna's disappearance? I changed directions towards the short Professor's office.

I knocked on his door. "Come in!" the Professor called.

"Professor? Remember when Emma Brabbs and I were talking about Luna's disappearance?" I asked.

Professor Flitwick looked up from the large pile of essays he was checking and said: "Yes. Have you heard anything of her?"

"Sort of. I think I know a way to get her out of the place where she is now," I said, careful not to mention the Malfoys.

"That's wonderful. How are you going to do that, if I may ask?"

"I'm not entirely sure yet, but I will need a book from the restricted section."