Chapter 11. A Trip to London.

The holidays in France with my parents had been fun, and the joy continued when we came home. On the doormat was a letter for me. I immediately took it to my room to read it.

I recognized the green ink as Draco's. Excitedly I read:

Dear Keira,

How are your holidays so far? Mine could be better. A few Death Eaters are permanently living in my house. I'm not supposed to tell you, but I feel I can trust you with that information. These developments have not contributed to my happiness. I often go for walks to escape the people in my house. Against all expectations professor Snape will be the new headmaster instead of professor McGonagall. He sent my mother a letter, saying I will be able to attend Hogwarts next year despite everything that has happened. I'm so happy we will be able to spend our last school year together!

Remember you asked if we could do something together this summer? Is the offer still valid? As you might understand, I seize every opportunity to get out of the house. Would you like to go to London together?

R.S.V.P.

Love,

Draco

I took a piece of paper and wrote a reply:

Dear Draco,

I'm sorry to hear about your current situation. Indeed, there are better people to spend your holidays with. At least you'll be able to graduate at Hogwarts! Although I'm not too sure if we should be happy about the new headmaster. To be honest, I was quite fond of Dumbledore and I'm afraid Snape is not an ideal  substitute.

I'd love to go to London. Would you like to go to Diagon Alley or would you also like to visit the Muggle city? If Malfoy Manor is no longer a safe place for you I could ask my parents if you can stay over at my place for a while.

Love,

Keira

***

I sat on a low wall in front of the train station, waiting for Draco. I hadn't actually come by train: I had apparated, but it felt like a natural place to meet each other. Draco wanted to stroll through the Muggle city first before going to Diagon Alley.

A person with fair hair, wearing a black suit, appeared from behind a wall. I got up and walked over to him. "Draco!" I said and smiled.

"Hey Keira," Draco responded. We hugged and I asked how he was doing. Draco looked at me seriously and replied: "To be honest, things could be better. The Death Eaters don't harm me because I'm one of them, but they insist I give them names of blood traitors... I don't want to, but if I don't..."

"What will they do to you if you don't give them names?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

The usually so cool and dominant boy seemed fragile now. "They torture me," Draco said. He put his head on my shoulder and cried softly. "I will make sure not to give them the names of your friends, I promise," Draco whispered in a hoarse voice.

The fact that he gave them names in the first place triggered me, but I understood that if they hurt him, he wouldn't keep up the silence. And to keep up appearances he probably had to give names sometimes. There were enough "mudbloods" he disliked, so giving one of their names probably wasn't such a big deal. "You're not going back there," I said firmly. "You should stay at my place."

"No," he said. "I don't want to put anyone in danger, they'd come looking for me. And it's just one more week until we go back to school. I'll be able to survive that long."