Chapter 30. Draco's Dilemma.

Embittered, I looked at the body of Harry in Hagrid's arms. How could it be, after all we'd been through? It wasn't fair! I glanced at Voldemort. This was the first time I could take a thorough look at him. Not that the noseless, bald man was particularly pleasing to the eyes.

Draco was standing next to me. We were holding hands and his grip on my hand was a little too firm, but I didn't mind, because it somehow kept me grounded. We were both nervous.

"Come forward and join us," the Dark Lord said huskily.

I looked at Draco, as if I was still in doubt where his loyalty lay. He didn't move and I heaved a sigh, but then Lucius and Narcissa started urging Draco to come over. Draco's face fell and he angrily looked at the ground.

"Don't go," I whispered. If he gave in now, it had all been for nothing.

"Keira, come over." Offended, I looked up and saw my father looking at me intently. Great, now both our dads were trying to win us over.

But why would he? Would he think joining them would be safer for me? I thought he was counterworking the Death Eaters! This man changed like the weather since he was back in his old social circle.

Draco and I looked at each other, at our dads and I glanced at the people around us. Most of them clearly didn't trust us, others were a bit less wary.

"Draco!" Lucius said impatiently. I saw he lifted his wand, just a little, and muttered something.

Everything around me suddenly looked much nicer. I didn't know where I was or what I was doing, but a blissful trance-like state had gotten hold of me. It was one of the best feelings I had ever had. "Come over to us," a voice in my head said. Without hesitation, I obeyed the voice and started walking. It was like I was being magnetically drawn to the people across me. I heard people shout things, but I didn't understand them. Happily, I joined the blonde man that had called me, and his friends.

Keira let go of Draco's hand and started walking in the Death Eater's direction. "What are you doing?!" Draco asked. Keira didn't reply. Draco had not seen this coming. He had been intimidated by his father, but Keira had prevented him from giving in. She had faith in him, so why did she give up now after fighting so bravely? And didn't she care about the reactions of their fellow students? "You imbecile, you're ruining everything," he muttered.

Something was wrong. Draco looked at the man that had called Keira. That had to be her father. He didn't seem to notice she had even joined them. Draco had expected him to praise her or hug her or somehting, but he just stood there with that dumb smile on his face.

That's it! He was Imperiused, and so was Keira! Draco looked at his own father, who was tensely watching Keira, his wand still in his hand. His father looked at him and their eyes locked. Lucius frowned and mouthed: "Come here!" but Draco didn't make a move. He understood now. Lucius had meant to Imperius him, but had aimed poorly and bewitched Keira. Of course, she wouldn't join them voluntarily.

Draco looked around and heard people say things like "Daddy's girl after all" and "I knew we couldn't trust her," but "I bet she has killed her own "friend", Brabbs the half-blood" topped everything. Enraged by all these lies, Draco decided he had to do something.

He bashed aside the people that were standing in his way and strutted up to the open spot between the two factions. He made eye-contact with his father, who, for a second, had been hopeful that his son would join him, but had to conclude otherwise when Draco stopped just in front of the other students.

"So that's how you've kept me on your side all this time, with lies! Tell me, what else was a lie? You thought I wouldn't notice? You thought I'd be this ignorant, prejudiced daddy's boy forever? Well now you've gone too far! Thinking you can Imperius me if I don't live up to your standards? And work on your aim, 'cause that's my girlfriend you've just cursed..." Suddenly, Draco's fierce and indignant demeanor was overshadowed by the Dark Lord. Draco had nearly forgotten he was still there as well, and he looked up at him in dismay.