Giggle Water

Jasper's plight plagued me during the ride back to my house. Leaving Lester and Ian to put the vehicles back in the garage, I trudged inside to pour myself a glass of giggle water and try to think of a way to help. 

Kicking off my shoes, I slumped in an armchair in front of a massive fireplace. I didn't have a fire lit tonight, but when it was cold it was my favorite place in the old, rambling house. 

"What the hell am I going to do?" I asked the yawning cavern of the fireplace. Downing the glass, I set it on a small side table and slumped lower in my chair. What the hell, indeed.

Bootlegging was a dying craft. Most new sinners just paid the outrageous taxes imposed by overlords. But us old numbers, we knew how to get around the system. Without Jasper's business, I would have to find at least one new buyer, maybe two or three. And that market was looking slim nowadays. 

Maybe it was the hooch talking, but I got an idea. Bolting out of my seat, I ran down the hall and out the door onto my winding wrap-around porch. Lester and Ian were still in the drive, leaning against the box truck and having a smoke.

"Which one of you wants some overtime?" I said breathlessly, "I've got an errand to run."