Office Call

Even though I had been the voice of reason, the business alteration had been difficult for me to take as well. It hadn't two days since I met with my crew when Alastor was shown into my office by my pale-faced secretary, Maggie.

"Thank you, Maggie," I said, looking up from the accounts I had been mulling over for any errors. Shutting the account book, I added, "That will be all."

Maggie shut the door as she left, and I gestured towards the empty seat before my desk. My eyes raked over Alastor's slender form, trying to discern his body language. Unfortunately, the overlord was hard to read. 

Taking the offered seat, he grinned, "(Y/N), my dear, I wanted to drop by and discuss an upcoming appointment with my new partner."

He looked amused when he said the word "partner". It made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. Leaning back in my seat, I strived to preserve an air of calm.

Alastor continued, "I have a potential client to meet tomorrow night and I would appreciate your company. He may be open to cooperating if we can bring something of value to the table."

I raised an eyebrow, "And who would this be?"

Alastor's smile widened, "Navaro's down on 15th and Grand Ave."

I stiffened, replying coldly, "Navaro deals with Remus and his crew. This could start an underground tuft war."

Remus was my rival as far as bootlegging went. And if history on Earth served as any sort of precursor, the fallout was going to be bloody. But Alastor dismissed my fears with a wave, "You have an overlord on your side, my dear. Remus would be wise to bow out gracefully."

Narrowing my eyes, I nodded. I knew something was bound to happen, and apparently provoking an underground turf war was going to be the way we went.