Chapter 19: The Songsworn's Doctrine

Meanwhile, on the other side of the third floor, Bartholomew and Thomas were getting ready for the occasion. Bart wore a shiny white tuxedo with numerous gold sequins coated all over the outer jacket, with white gloves and shoes to accompany it. His black hair was gelled and swept up into a pompadour-like style, and there was not a single odor to be detected on him. Thomas, on the other hand, still wore his regular outfit; he was going to get changed as soon as his master was ready. 

"Master, always as fancy as ever," Thomas remarked. "This is quite the spectacle, indeed."

Bart nodded. "That's right, my friend. Long have we languished in these halls, desperately searching for a way out. And, if your research holds true, this reunion may be the key." 

He sounded confident, but within seconds, a worried look appeared on his face.

"What is it, Master?"

"Well, Thomas.....I know my servant Melody has been dead and gone for several years at this point, but up to now I feel like I've been having trouble getting over it. Occasionally, whenever I pass the Conservatory, I'll still hear the piano playing." Bart shook his head. "I suppose it might just be my imagination." 

"That might be the case, Master. She did bring a lot to the table, and someone like her is not easily forgotten in the least, even after all this time. Perhaps you're experiencing auditory hallucinations.....?" the butler suggested. "Even back when both of us were alive, shortly following Melody's death, I worked closely with the investigators who were searching her room, and they found nothing suspicious of the sort." 

Bart lightly slammed his fist on a nearby dresser in mild frustration. "It's not fair that the case has gone cold. I don't understand how that happened.....surely we would've received some sort of closure by this point.....?" 

"Don't worry, Master," Thomas assured. "As soon as we finish the binding, all of the ghosts--including us--shall finally ascend to the afterlife. After that, you'll finally be able to meet her again." 

".....I hope you're right," Bart said with a sigh. 

***********************************************************************************************

Soon, Bart had left the room and began heading towards the Golden Altar on the mansion's roof. For the moment, Thomas had insisted on staying behind and cleaning up his master's room. As soon as he was sure he was by himself, he reached into his coat pocket, pulled out a scrying orb, and contacted Melody with it.

"Hello. I trust that the hapless fools are on their way to the slaughter?" 

Melody, who was back at the third floor balcony, picked up the orb that rested on her piano. Once she saw who was on the other end, she rolled her eyes. "Of course it's you again. Yes, don't worry. You're not gonna believe what I did. You know those knight statues that are in the lobby?" 

"Yes, what about them?" 

"I brought them to life and had them attack our guests."

"Brilliant! I see that the powers I've given to you have been serving you well!" 

"And if that doesn't work, once they reach the balcony, they're in for a big surprise. I've used your.....'precious cargo'.....as bait to lure them into my trap." 

"Rose?" Thomas laughed. "Aren't you the efficient one. Make sure you don't kill her, now!" 

Melody frowned. "Is everything alright, 'friend'?" the butler asked. 

".....Do you promise to let me go after I give you the last four souls? You have no idea how much I've desired it. I just want all of this to end....." she lamented.