Chapter 27: Thomas's Deepest Thoughts

Using the key retrieved from Cadence, the group managed to unlock the door to Thomas's quarters. It was a large, square room with a walk-in closet on one wall, an iron and ironing board in a corner next to a tall pile of clothes, and several rolls of toilet paper stacked neatly in a pyramid shape in a different corner. In the center of the room was a medium-sized circular table with three chairs placed around it, as well as a dusty journal sitting on top. A sewing machine sat on the back wall, with a small silver bucket in the corner directly to its right. Finally, Ricardo also saw a big tool cabinet placed against the right wall, with several wrenches, two screwdrivers, one hammer, and one saw hanging on it. 

"Who knew Thomas was such a handyman....?" he mused. "I did," Jane replied. "Even before Bart and I were married, I knew Thomas well, mostly because he would regularly talk about the butler during our dates. He went on and on about how Thomas was such a valuable ally and how life in the house would be a lot more complicated if it weren't for him. He fixed everything that went wrong around the manor without fail." She sighed. "I suppose that makes everything he has done exponentially worse....." 

"I wonder what pushed him to take such drastic measures.....?" Elijah pondered. "We know from what Jane figured out on the balcony that he was extremely possessive of Bart and did not like anyone else spending time with him. That much is true." 

"Yes, I can attest to that," Melody grumbled. 

"Oh, umm....sorry." 

The girl sighed. "No, it's fine.....I just wish I knew how he ended up that way. Everyone has a reason for doing what they do; nothing happens spontaneously. Granted, that reason is not always a good one, but it's there nonetheless." 

"When Thomas and Bart were arguing on the balcony, Thomas called Jane a 'commoner' and claimed that Bart marrying her would 'ruin the Taloncrest name' or something to that effect....." Cooper added. 

"Hey, guys!" James called to the others from across the room. "I found this small silver key inside the corner bucket. Maybe it unlocks that journal that's on the table there." 

He walked over to the middle of the room, inserted the key into the lock on the book, and opened it, reading the first entry to the others. 

***********************************************************************************************

October 1, 1900

          The girl known as Melody has been spending a lot of time around the Master recently. No doubt that he has been drawn to her for her musical prowess. He barely pays me an ounce of attention anymore these days, ever since she set foot inside the house. He only speaks to me very briefly about performing simple and menial tasks; we never get the chance to sit down and talk as friends. Still....at the same time, I do realize that the Master and I have done a great service by allowing her to live here; she has lost almost everything else, after all. 

         It's like I only exist to him when he needs me for something; nothing more! I miss my regular afternoon chats with the Master.....I shall continue to assess the situation further. If nothing improves, I shall be forced to take action. 

                                                                                                                                                                                                -TK

***********************************************************************************************

"....." 

Melody slammed her fist on the table. "If he was jealous of my time with Bart, why didn't he come up to me and talk about it?! I'm sure we could've worked things out! But instead, he.....he went and did this....." she cried, looking down at her spectral form.