Chapter 22: The Traitor Revealed

During the chaos on the third floor, the now-mutated Dr. Octavio was shambling down the labyrinthine first floor hallways. After wandering for a bit, he came to the grand ballroom. All of the ghosts that Ricardo and his friends had met at the beginning of their trip were still there, minding their own business as though nothing was happening. When they saw Octavio, however, they gasped. 

"What.....? Who is this.....creature?" one of them muttered. "He doesn't look like anybody I've ever seen....." commented another. 

"Of course you have never met me," the doctor replied. "I was held captive in the basement of this mansion for countless years! I am Dr. Octavio, and I have just one simple question for you. Have any of you seen living humans running around this mansion recently? I am looking for them. For.....reasons." 

All of the spirits in the ballroom stood silent for several seconds. ".....So none of you will tell me?" Octavio asked. Suddenly, one of his freshly-grown, oozing, black tentacles shot out and wrapped itself around one of the ghosts, strangling it mercilessly. "Then I suppose you won't mind if I use this fine specimen to.....satiate myself, do you?" 

"STOP!" said one of the guests. "Just....put him down and I'll tell you everything I know." 

".....Very well." Octavio set the ghost down on the floor again, and retracted his limb from around the spirit's body. 

"My name is Johnny, of the Songsworn Cult," said the guest. "I do seem to recall meeting a 'Ricardo' fellow a few hours earlier. He was accompanied by several of his friends; three other boys, I believe. They were searching for his girlfriend, Rose." He paused for a few seconds before continuing. "I heard an awful lot of ruckus occurring on the third floor balcony just now. Maybe you could check there?" 

The doctor thought about this for a moment. "Fine. And what is this 'Songsworn Cult' you speak of?" 

"The Songsworn Cult is a religious sect of spirits who follow our Grand Magistrix, Melody Pianissima," Johnny explained. "We believe that She alone holds the key to our freedom. In fact, She and Her vizier, Dischord, are attempting to dispatch the living humans on the balcony to claim their souls as we speak." 

The doctor gasped. "So.....this 'Melody' person wishes to dispose of Ricardo and co. as well? She's got another thing coming, then. The vendetta is with me, and me alone!" he insisted. He grabbed Johnny using one of his appendages and hoisted him above the ground. "Wh....what are you doing?!" he protested. "I told you everything I know!" 

"Yes, and I appreciate the assistance," the doctor responded. "To show you my gratitude for what you have done, I will grant you what you so eagerly desire....."

".....A swift end." 

While restraining Johnny with his tentacle, another one shot out and impaled Johnny in the chest. The Songsworn loyalist's eyes rolled back into his head as his ghostly form dissipated, leaving behind only a small ball of glowing energy: a soul, condensed into an orb form. 

Dr. Octavio inserted the orb into his newly-grown chest cavity, which then pulsated in response to the added power boost. 

"NO!" one of the other spirits wailed. "Come on, everyone! We've got to warn the Magist--" 

Octavio chuckled. "Oh.....I don't think so." Within seconds, the doctor had impaled all of the ghosts in the ballroom using his tentacles and assimilated their souls into his body. When his work was done, the once-populated ballroom was completely empty except for him. 

"SO MUCH POWER!" he bellowed. "Now to find those living pests....." 

***********************************************************************************************