Chapter 34: The Fate of the Mansion

On the other side of the gateway, Ricardo and his allies were met with a sight very similar to the roof of the manor they were just on. However, everything was a muted grayscale tone, hushed otherworldly whispers could be heard everywhere, and just about nothing was as it seemed. 

For one thing, Cooper noticed that the white chairs, which had been flung around like toys by Octavio just moments earlier, were now back to their usual lined-up position, in rows facing the alternate version of the altar. He attempted to sit on one, but fell right through it as it faded away on contact.

"Guess that was an illusion," he groaned. 

"Stay on your toes, everyone," Ricardo advised. "We have no idea what to expect here...." 

"That's weird...." Elijah pointed out. "I see the altar there, just like it was in the real world....but Thomas, Bart, and Rose are nowhere to be found." 

"Looking for us?" a voice from behind them said. The group turned around and saw Thomas with the two stasis orbs flanking him on either side. In addition, an apparent newcomer was at Thomas's side; a red, smoky, ethereal, almost demonic-looking entity. "I don't think you've been properly introduced to my....employer yet," the butler remarked. "'Heroes', meet Abdiel. He'll be your personal escort out of this life." 

"Indeed....." Abdiel hissed, his voice echoing around the pocket dimension. "It would seem as though the binding will have to wait. For now...." he looked at Thomas. "I believe we have a score to settle with these fleas." 

Dischord threw a second set of rapiers to the boys as he had done before, but shortly before the two sides clashed, Abdiel got an idea. As Thomas attempted to charge forward, Abdiel briefly held him back. "No, my champion. It won't be just us....." 

"We shall ALL fight.....together!" the demon exclaimed, projecting a powerful spell that turned Bart and Rose's stasis orbs an eerie, pulsing shade of red. "I'll give you your precious 'hostages' back...." Abdiel called to the group. "But fair warning....they might be a little more....hostile than you remember them!" 

The stasis orbs shattered, and Bart and Rose opened their eyes. However, instead of natural coloring, theirs shone a bright, supernatural gold. 

They were under Abdiel's control. 

Jane's eyes widened in shock. "What?! NO!" Ricardo gasped. 

Thomas smiled wickedly as he saw what Abdiel had in mind. "Brilliant thinking as always," he remarked. Four against six will be much more even." 

"Agreed," Abdiel replied. He briefly looked over at Melody. "Especially since this girl holds a small fraction of my power. Do you regret giving it to her yet? Because now she stands against us!

Thomas rolled his eyes and readied a fireball in his hand. "Don't worry. I have a feeling this will be over quick." 

"This mansion is ours, 'heroes'! Now get ready to meet your doom at the hands of the Underworld's most vicious paragon! CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!" Abdiel cried. 

***********************************************************************************************

The two sides clashed. 

The mind-controlled Bart had been sent into a blind rage, roaring like a beast and mercilessly attacking everyone left and right with the spiked club Abdiel had given him. When Elijah saw the Taloncrest master about to swing, he managed to duck at the last second, avoiding a blow that most certainly would have decapitated him. 

Thomas hung back and relentlessly pelted the heroes with a barrage of fireballs and energy beams, focusing in particular on the boys. "If you five meddling kids had never come to this mansion in the first place, none of this would be happening!" he exclaimed. "Everything would have gone off without a hitch! But here you are!"