Finger Food Recipes

Calvin was reading a cookbook in the kitchen.

"Getting ready to cook, Calvin?" Sam said.

"I am, Sam. We're all going to the Wiggles' house for a party and I thought I'd cook something to take with us" said Calvin.

"Can we help?" said Meg.

"Of course you can, Meg. I'm not sure what to make so I'm looking in a recipe book for some ideas" said Calvin.

"Have you any ideas already, Cal?" said Charles Wallace.

"Well, I thought we'd make something ahead of time and put it in the fridge until it's time to go" said Calvin.

"And maybe something people can eat without having to use a fork or a spoon" said Meg.

"Finger food" said Charles Wallace.

"Well, here are some recipe books, guys. Now we all have our own recipe books so we can all look for something delicious to take to the party" Sam said.

The kids looked at their books.

"Here's a recipe for vegetable soup! But that's not really finger food is it?" said Charles Wallace.

"No no" said Calvin.

"How about... Christmas cookies" Sam said.

"Great idea, Sam! Christmas cookies. We all love Christmas cookies. But... it's not a Christmas party" said Calvin.

"Oh no. It's not" Sam said.

"Hmm. What about... low-fat... high-fiber... birthday cake!" said Meg.

"Ohhh! Low-fat high-fiber birthday cake. Well, that's a good idea, Meg, but it's not a birthday party" said Calvin.

"Yeah..." Meg sighed.

"I know! I found the very thing! Grilled vegetable salad" said Calvin.

"Grilled vegetable salad. Well, do you eat it hot or do you eat it cold?" Sam said.

"Let me see. Grilled vegetable salad. You cook it. That's the grilling part. But then you eat it cold" said Calvin.

"Wow! What's it made of?" said Meg.

"Well, the ingredients should be in the fridge. Let's see what we got here" said Calvin.

He went to the fridge and pulled out a tray of vegetables.

"Voila. The ingredients" said Calvin.

"The colors are nice aren't they?" said Charles Wallace.

"They're awesome colors. Have a looksie. Yellow squash, yellow orange and red capsicum, green zucchini, a beautiful dark purple eggplant. And this is balsamic vinegar. Wonderful, dark, dark in color and wonderful in nature" explained Calvin.

"And we can put in some coriander and put it in the fridge until it's time to go to the Wiggles' party" said Meg.

"Let's get started" said Sam.

Later...

"And here it is. Grilled, chopped and healthy." said Meg.

"And you know the best thing about healthy food?" said Calvin.

"What?" said the other three.

"You can eat lots and lots of it" Calvin joked.

"Oh, Calvin! Wha wha wha whaaaaaaaa!" the others sang in unison.