You Can Listen to Your Heartbeat

Sam was dressed like a doctor when Paul came in.

"Hello, Sam" said Paul.

"Hi, Paul! How are ya?" Sam said.

"I'm good thanks. Are you singing that wonderful song about the little joeys and the funny doctor?" said Paul.

"Oh, not today, Paul. Today, I'm gonna listen to your heartbeat. I have a stethoscope. That's what doctors use to listen to your heartbeat" Sam said.

"How does it work, Sam?" said Paul.

"Well, Paul, you put the ear pieces in your ears. And you put this piece over your heart. And you listen to your heartbeat" Sam said.

Sam listened to Paul's heartbeat.

"Wow. So that's what my heartbeat sounds like" said Paul.

"Oh, yes, Macca" Sam said.

"Does everybody's heartbeat sound the same, Sam?" said Paul.

"Pretty much, Paul. Some are a bit faster and some are a bit slower. Charles Wallace's is probably a bit slower when he's asleep" Sam said.

Meg and Calvin then ran over with a volleyball.

"Catch, Paul!" said Meg.

"Oh, thanks, Meg. Sam's just been listening to my heartbeat" said Paul. 

"Oh, wow! Can you listen to mine too?" said Meg.

"Sure, Meg. Yours is probably gonna be a bit faster because you've been exercising" Sam said.

She listened to Meg's heart.

"Yeah! It is a bit faster" Sam said.

Calvin had two fingers on the back of his jaw.

"What are you doing, Calvin?" said Paul.

"Paul, I'm feeling my heartbeat" said Calvin.

"Oh yeah! I almost forgot. Sometimes you can feel your heartbeat without using a stethoscope by putting your fingers on different parts of your body. Like Calvin is" Sam said.

"Wow! I can feel my heartbeat too!" said Paul.

"Cool! Hey, guys. Wanna play with my volleyball?" said Meg.

Charles Wallace woke up and said "You bet!"