17: The Delicate Touch

Pepper strokes their forehead softly with the back of their hand. The more they do it, the more they see tears fall from Tulip's eyes. Every time they stop, Tulip reassures them with a light nudge from a finger. So badly do they want to ask why they're crying, but they don't want to ruin the moment. They keep petting Tulip with their finger. Suddenly, the crying stops. The tightness from Tulip's lips relax. Pepper continues stroking their forehead, a sphinx cat begging for attention. Instead of purrs being received, it's quiet breaths. They feel Tulip tug and move Pepper's hand to their cheek, then come to a stop. Pepper takes that as another signal to continue.

Touch. A light touch. It's enough for Tulip to seem at bliss. But why, is what Pepper questions. They recall the time on the bridge, when Tulip walked up to them, doing the same guided gesture. It makes them frown a little inside to see how Tulip wasn't interested in the garden. Yet, it doesn't shake them enough to feel upset about it. Everyone's vision of peace is different. They can't help but fondly stare at Tulip while caressing their cheek in a tender fashion.

After a couple more minutes, Tulip lets go. They part their eyes slightly. Their hands drop in front. Pepper slowly retracts their hand back. They crease a smile. A smile caked in blush. But as they feel the momentary bliss, something breaches from the surface of their mind as an unfriendly reminder. They let out a sigh, loud enough for Tulip to look up.

"Do you... have any memories you've recovered?"

There is a pause. Tulip's eyes travel to the endless darkness. Pepper bites down on their lip. They worry they might've wrecked the brief, peaceful atmosphere. Suddenly, Tulip meets their eyes again. A neutral expression. They shake their head.

"No, huh..." Pepper was expecting that answer, but still had hope. "Doesn't it, bother you?"

As soon as they ask, they flinch when Tulip rises up from their lying position. Strands of hair break from the rope braid, partially falling to hug Tulip's shoulders. They wipe the dried tears, then lock onto their gaze.

"Is it not for the best I never know?" They say.

Their tone of voice is haunting, unfazed. Calm. Smooth. Pepper feels their heart skip a beat. Then they realize what Tulip said, so they clear their throat.

"Only if you are okay with not knowing."

Tulip pauses for a moment. "It was burdensome in the beginning. Now I don't feel there is any reason to be bothered by it." They tilt their head a little, making more hair fall. "If I cannot remember who I was, why dig further in a wound instead of letting it heal its own way?"

Letting it heal. Perhaps it's for the best, then. Pepper nods to themself. Their eyes look towards the cup of tea, now a cold liquid. They decide now's the time to leave Tulip be. So they stand up while grabbing all of their belongings, but come to a halt at the blanket and pillow. Their mouth softens to a smile.

"You're okay with those?" They gesture to the items beside them.

Tulip looks down. They tenderly trace along the pillow's soft fabric, then nod.

"Okay. Then I bid my farewell for now."

As they turn to leave, they hear Tulip scooting themself onto the blanket more from behind. Followed by,

"Will you be back soon?"

That makes Pepper stop in their tracks. Clutch the items tighter to their chest. They turn their head with a warm smile.

"Of course! I have to fix your hair, anyway."

They make haste in their step this time. They feel their heart race, not just from walking faster. Remembering what they did earlier, caressing Tulip's face.

The feelings are growing stronger.