23: The Tempting Poison

"The golden chain tree, or Laburnum, is amongst the pea family, Faboideae. Do not be fooled by the family it associates with, as the entirety of the tree is poisonous, including the flowers. In fact, these species are kept in a special garden known as the Poison Garden with other species due to its deadliness."

Passing by that page gave them a shiver down their spine. I can't imagine a whole tree growing from my back. They shudder at the thought. To their relief, though, it wasn't that type of plant. It started taking a more recognizable shape: daffodil. The only petal it has continues to poke at Tulip's shoulder whenever they move. At least the pain isn't so bad right now. Impulse beckons them to crawl to where the smaller door is, but they are reminded that Pepper isn't around. It makes their head droop in the same fashion as the flower's delicate snout.

Quiet curses exhale from their pursed lips. They're still thinking of them. They've gotten to a point where a simple knock on the door would bring a spring to their step. The notes they passed back and forth to explain the flower's meaning more than what's present on the aged pages. Hearing their slightly muffled voice behind the door. It's tempting.

They shake their head.

The curse is only temporary, right? Just like how being around Pepper is temporary. They could be "dubbed" as a new death deity by tomorrow. Or the day after. Or several days after that. They shake their head again, then pat their cheeks. What is happening to me?

"I'm deeply sorry, Tulip. Regardless of how you feel about me, I needed to tell you all of this."

What they once regarded as an enemy, someone unworthy of trust, shifted things around. Tended to their husk, mended all their wounds. Gave them healing tea. Took them to a garden. Caressed their face. Just so they could experience happiness. It aches. That colourless white doesn't seem so far after all.

They force themself to stand up, hugging their warm arms with cold hands. They wander. Wander deep into the dark. Even further this time. Their hands travel up to a wall, free from any markings. Slowly they travel more. They look behind them to see the light getting dimmer. Still, they push on. They're not afraid of getting lost this time. Only getting more lost in their thoughts.

"Tulip..."

No. My mind is playing games with me.

"Hello?"

They stop walking. It's too real of a voice to be an illusion. From behind Tulip can hear that familiar pitter-patter. Except it's traveling around under the light. Then suddenly, the noise stops. The room goes quiet. Tulip clenches their fist tight. Is it a hyperreal experience? Are they completely swallowed up by the darkness? No, in fact, they turn. Turn and run with tightly shut eyes. They run back, ignoring the pain climbing up their spine. The room starts to get brighter. Finally they open their eyes.

Pepper. They almost bump into them as they come to a screeching halt. Their hands rest on their knees as they catch their breath. On the ground is a shadow, which grows in size as Pepper steps closer. They kneel down to face Tulip. When Tulip lifts their head, they see Pepper wearing completely different attire, much darker in colour. It looks like a cloak. When they take off the hood of the cloak, they reveal minty eyes and hair done up in a tight bun. It's not an illusion.

"Pepper..." they say once they calm down.

Pepper smiles warm. They lift an index finger to their lips, then with the other hand, pull something out of a pocket. Tulip raises an eyebrow.