47: The Roots Have Been Planted

"I want to go to the garden one last time today."

Pepper paused for a moment. They studied the colours changing through the stained glass, which indicated it was getting dark. The sky is probably a pretty pink and orange colour.

"Let's not make haste, then!"

Before Tulip could even react, the door had been swung open, and their hand was grabbed in order to follow. The aroma was an exquisite mesh of nature; flowers, wheat, the constant breeze, the waterfall, all became instantly cathartic for them. Every tactile surface tickled their skin, every breath of fresh air reawakened their being, every stare into the wonder of Pepper's eyes reminded them.

I'm home.

They realize that now, they are free. This is their freedom. This is their home. The sun that once loomed high above the sky had now become a half-moon shape, bleeding its orange warmth into the sky like a watercolour painting.

What is it called? Ah, yes, a horizon.

Despite the atmosphere growing darker by the minute, it was still an eyesore to stare at the blinding light, so instead they turned to their lover. Pepper's smile is brighter, but easier to look at. They smile back at them, then nestle the side of their cheek on their shoulder.

"What do you think?" Pepper says with excitement. "This is what the mortals see every evening when a cloud isn't in the sky..."

"Words can't describe..." how I feel right now, how I know that this is the forever I yearned so long for.

"I agree!"

Pepper turns their head a bit to land a soft kiss on the top of Tulip's head. Tulip blushes. Wait... did they read my mind? Or do they think I'm speaking of the sun? The thoughts disappear in the breeze as the two sit down by the tulip field. They sit in silence, marvelling at the ever-changing sky as it dips into a darker colour. Tulip turns to Pepper.

"Do you remember the wishbone you gave me?"

Pepper stops. Tulip lifts their head so they face them. Pepper appears worried. They lift a finger to Tulip's lips.

"Don't tell me what it is, or it won't-"

"-come true," Tulip finishes. "I know that."

"Keep the wish to yourself. Because I'm sure it will come true."

Pepper lowers their hand, then fixates on the shrinking sun. It's past the halfway point now.

"I'll only say that my wish has come true."

They turn to Tulip, smile wide as can be.

"It was the garden, wasn't it?"

"I can't tell you."

They both laugh. Tulip locates Pepper's hand hidden underneath the grass and interlocks their hands together. Slowly, they close the gap between each other with a tender kiss. Tulip catches them smiling through the kiss, then a small giggle.

"Hm?"

Pepper presses their forehead against Tulip's, giggling again. "Your freckles are so apparent right now. Or what they're also called, sun kisses."

"Sun kisses?"

"Mhm. They're beautiful."

"So are you," Tulip doesn't hesitate to say back.

Both of their faces grow warm. The two of them laugh again, then lay down flat on the grass.

The sun finally dives under the distant field.

The sky doesn't change to blue, though.

Instead, the colour changes to a dark purple.

With yellow stars kissing its surface.