26: The Belladonna

No clack of heels.

No terrifying cackle.

The door to the garden swings open, inviting the two back out. Hummingbirds whizzed by Tulip's ears, which startled them for a moment. Their eyes search around a sea of green. Their hands guide along the tactile surfaces of soft leaves, droopy petals, tough stems. Up ahead, Pepper twirls around with the wind, accompanied by hydrangeas in a nearby patch. The wind isn't a terrifying roar, only a soft whisper. Tulip looks over their shoulder and notices the daffodils are beginning to wilt. No wonder the pain has died down.

They're alerted back to Pepper laughing, dancing as if the peaceful breeze is an instrument. Their aura invites them to join, a small smile forming on their face. Pepper holds out their hands, to which Tulip holds and dances with them, hand in hand. They twirl, hold tight, smiling and spinning around. The world around Tulip blurs except for Pepper's face.

When they let go, dizziness catches up to the two. They wobble, trying to plant down on the ground. Pepper laughs. They rub their head and close their eyes. Then they hear - thunk! - and open them. Tulip had landed on the soft soil. They kneel down with a protective hand to keep Tulip steady as they rub their head.

"Are you alright?"

Tulip looks up and meets their eyes with pastel lavender. They are just mere inches from Pepper's face, which makes their heart skip a beat. They nod, revealing another tiny smile. Pepper leans back with a look of relief. Their hair blows backwards, while Tulip's blows in front. They fix their hair to remove it from their face, each time looking at Pepper's relaxed expression.

"I think I found a newfound happiness," Tulip says.

Pepper lifts their head back up. Glee spreads across their mouth.

"You have??" A similar sparkle from when they first met dances in their eyes.

They stand up and stroll past Pepper. Pepper watches in wonder as Tulip kneels down by a flower patch. They try to sway to one side to see what they're doing, but they're still blocked off. Perhaps their answer has gone with the wind? They don't recall Tulip ever saying it. Tulip then stands up with something in their grip. They walk back to Pepper, who's still sitting in the same spot. Tulip's hands are cupped over something. They sit down by Pepper, excited to show them. Slowly they open their hands.

Unveiled in Tulip's clutch is a red tulip with a small piece of its stem attached. They lift the tulip up to Pepper's left ear and let it rest there, then stand back. Pepper beams, a hand lifted to where the tulip is to adjust it a little. It fits snugly.

"Red tulips mean undying love, right?" Tulip asks.

The question is somewhat rhetorical, but Pepper doesn't hesitate to nod. Then they remember the tulip and lift a hand to make sure it didn't fall off. They hold out their other hand in front of Tulip. Tulip blinks, staring at the hand for a moment before raising theirs and placing it in Pepper's. Together they walk to another flower patch, with Pepper guiding Tulip.

Rows upon rows of tulips sway this way and that. Each one is designated to its own spot depending on the colour of its petals. With a free hand, Pepper points to each and every colour.

"White tulips mean forgiveness, pink means to give good wishes, orange ones relate to gratitude..."

Every single colour they point and explain its meaning to Tulip. Each and every second that passes Tulip stares more and more into Pepper's contagiously giddy expression. Suddenly, Pepper lets go of their hand to kneel down.

"And yellow tulips..." they stand back up while cupping their hands together like what Tulip did.

They are holding a yellow tulip. Slowly they lift their hand to Tulip, then place the yellow flower behind their ear.

"Mean happiness," they finally say.

Instinct makes Tulip feel the delicate petals. They return their attention back to Pepper, who also has a hand on their tulip. Tulip takes Pepper's other hand, staring fondly at their palm. They interlock their fingers with Pepper's, steadily lifting their head to meet theirs. They walk towards Pepper, who's frozen in place. Inches from each other's lips, closed off with a kiss. Sweeter than the flowery fragrance that swirls with the wind, they hold onto the kiss. Pepper caresses Tulip's cheek, which is warm to the touch.

After a few seconds, Tulip moves away. They stare into Pepper's dreamy eyes. Both of their faces are covered in natural blush. Suddenly, Tulip's flower flies off of their ear.

"Oh!" Pepper's eyes grow wide.

The tulip lands a few feet away, caught between two tall grass shoots. Pepper runs to grab it. As they kneel down, they notice another flower lying not far from the tulip. The flower is closed tight, its sepals almost devouring the purple petals. Pepper flinches, almost falling over. Tulip comes up beside them. They look in the direction Pepper is looking at and squint.

"Belladonna..."

Pepper's voice is filled with fear. The happiness from their face faded away. Within seconds Pepper grabs Tulip's hand and races through the garden, under the arbour and back inside. Tulip doesn't even have time to understand what's happening. But the fear on Pepper's face tells them it's not good.