Chapter 14 - Discovered

"I'm afraid I don't understand, Master. Restarting."

For the third time during their trek back to the remains of the Opachi village, V4 had taken it upon itself to reboot its core systems. Despite Jolis' best efforts to explain what the Force was to the little droid, it seemed likely that it wasn't able to correctly process this information in its current state.

"Greetings! I am V4. How may I be of assistance, Master?"

Jolis could only shake his head.

"Let's just continue on in silence, V4. Keep those scanners going."

A whirling sound—noticeably louder than what Jolis remembered—emitted from V4.

"Acknowledged, Master. Scanning. Annnnnnd one life form detected!"

Stopping suddenly, Jolis crouched down and quickly found cover behind a nearby tree. He reached out with the Force but oddly, sensed nothing larger than a syqrel nearby.

Leaning towards V4, Jolis whispered, "Which direction?"

Without so much as lowering its voice, V4 replied, "It seems to be coming from less than a meter away from me. In your general direction, Master."

It took Jolis all of a second to realize what was going on.

Jolis stood to his feet, noticeably annoyed. "V4, it's me. You're scanning me."

"Oh! I believe I am, Master. How inappropriate."

Sighing aloud, Jolis replied, "Let's go ahead and turn those scanners off for now until we've had a chance to find some tools to get you fixed up."

The audible whirling confirmed that V4 understood the message but the lack of a snappy comment meant that it didn't approve.

"If that is what you want, Master. As a matter of fact, I think that is for the best as well. Yes. I've been on emergency auxiliary power ever since you awakened me. It's probably best that I conserve power. I'll just stay close...in case you need me. Yes."

"Okay," replied Jolis. "Where's this attitude coming from? And where did you even learn to talk like that?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand. Oh forgive me, Master. I must say that I liked you better when you were smaller."

"Believe me, V4," Jolis chuckled. "I wish I could go back in time and stop all of this from happening but here we are; walking through the cold snowy woods during a cold season on our way to our abandoned village."

"Why don't you use your super floaty powers you had installed, Master? What was it called again?

"The Force, V4. It's called the Force."

"Affirmative, Master. I'm afraid I don't understand."

"Don't do it."

"Restarting."

At once, the little droid stopped in its tracks and its visual receptacle slumped forward.

Almost as if on cue, Jolis' shoulders slumped forward. He was half tempted to disconnect V4's power supply but—seeing as they were almost to the village—Jolis felt confident he would be able to find the proper equipment to repair his weathered droid.

"Greetings! I am V4. How may I..."

"Let's just continue on from here, V4. We're almost there."

"Oh my. Have I disappointed you today, Master? The day has only just begun. We should..."

"V4," Jolis stopped and held up his finger. "Hush!"

"Acknowledged. Commencing hushing."

Breathing a quick sigh of relief, Jolis and V4 continued on for the remainder of the way.