Chapter 17 - Vengeance Rising

The morning sun rose over the horizon as it pierced the shadowy veil of clouds in the distance. The mix of orange and pink hues combined with the pure blue sky brought Jolis a sense of peace and comfort as he sat cross-legged on top of a hill overlooking the valley below.

Although well-hidden, the Maligi camp could be seen just at the bottom of the hill. To the untrained eye, it would appear as one of the many now desolate villages which dotted the surface of Atophis.

To Jolis, however, he knew it as one of the last remaining holdouts for the people of this planet.

It had been several days since the revelation was made to him that all of the remaining tribal leaders had been killed except for Lord Keszen.

For one reason or another, however, he wasn't at peace with it. Whether doubt or possibly regret, Jolis was unable to accept it.

There was more on his mind, however. Having spent much time studying the strange control device which had been removed from Zekiel, both Jolis and V4 were having a difficult time in understanding the technology behind it. During his youth, many considered him to be an innovator who was far ahead of his time. In studying the control device, he realized it was simply naive thinking.

Even so, Jolis stored the device away for another time.

Returning his focus to the present, Jolis closed his eyes and centered himself on the Force as he reached outward.

He felt it around him. The creatures in the valley, the birds in the sky, the people in the camp, even the planet itself seemed at one during this time. The Force was everywhere.

After a moment, Jolis let go of his surroundings and his mind began to give him the sensation that he was floating across the surface of the planet. The forest, the vast salt plains just beyond the peaks of the southern mountains, the deep blue ocean which was close to the equator...

This was his home.

As the vision continued, however, Jolis suddenly came upon one of the enemy ships still in orbit of the planet. At once, the serene feeling of peace left him but there was something else. Something familiar.

As he began to draw near to the ship, Jolis began hearing screams which appeared to be coming from within the vessel. Looking down, he had a sudden sinking feeling as he also noticed what could be none other than a worker camp.

Thousands of people who wore the strange devices on the back of their necks could be seen digging deep into the depths of Atophis. Some were slave workers, others were guards. The entire landscape had been transformed into a mix of dirt and debris as the once beautiful forest had been stripped away all around the area.

From high above, Jolis could sense the evil presence of a creature he'd met before. Pressing in, a memory surfaced.

"Jolis! Run!"

The last words of his father echoed through his mind as suddenly, everything went black.

He had the impression that he was still floating as a deep hum could be heard in the distance. Visually, however, there was nothing...

...until a single bright light appeared in the distance. It approached quickly and before Jolis could react, it had overtaken him with a flash.

Jolis was given only the briefest glimpse of what could only be described as a world consumed by fire.

With a startle, Jolis exited the meditative trance to notice Rajm standing before him.

"Master Jolis, Lord Keszen wishes to speak with you. The alien creature called Zekiel is ready to talk."