008. in and out

chapter eight, in and out

"𝔏ast chance to turn back." Julia whispered hurriedly as her and Bonnie made their way down to the entrance hall, Bonnie looking determined as for once in her life she marched towards her goal, heart pounding and stomach lurching. Part of her brain screamed at her to run, two turn now and never look back. But her mind was made up. There were many things Bonnie Bowers was, stubborn being one, a coward not being one.

           "I'm not turning back." Bonnie answered, parchment clutched in her hand, her name which had been so delicately written now slightly crumpled with the force at which she was gripping the parchment.

Julia chewed on her lips, obviously concerned. But Bonnie was set on putting her name in, despite the hesitation crawling within her. It caused her heart to pound in her chest, thumping as fast as a humming bird's wings flap. Her palms were clammy, but other than that if anyone were to look they'd see a determined girl, incapable of being persuaded otherwise. Her eyes were set on the prize of fiery blue light that crawled within a goblet.

          It wasn't even eternal glory that was now part of the path that lied before her. But the idea of actually being noticed by the one person she longed to notice her? It wasn't like she was ignored. But for once she wanted Fleur to see her not as the oddball Hufflepuff but a champion. Perhaps it was dumb reasoning, as she was throwing her name into the goblet of fiery death. But in the moment that didn't matter.

It was early morning. Birds were singing and soft, warm yellow light steamed in through the thick windows of the entrance hall, shining down onto the Goblet. It was only for a moment, a moment of peace between rain storm clouds that never seemed to cease this year. The heavy rainfall would soon knock on the castle walls once more but for now students were able to bask in the yellow glow. Like the night before, it held blue fire, which sparked at the center. Blue flames danced ominously, holding a sense of foreboding but also the promise of something grander.

Recognition.

Both Julia and Bonnie halted in their steps, watching as girls and boys alike from Beauxbatons filed in. The fair giantess Madame Maxime led the way, the few Hogwarts students that were up and watching people toss their names in moving out of the way. Bonnie's eyes found Fleur's uniquely beautifully face, and she was sure if her heart beat any faster it would stop completely. Fleur however, kept her face forward and Bonnie saw the same look of determination reflected in Fleur's own face. And in her hand was clutched a piece of parchment, an elegant scribble on it but Bonnie couldn't make out the wording from afar, although she didn't need it. It was pretty obvious what it said.