Chp 23

"You're late," the Coach said as Tyler came into the locker room. The other players were already dressed and ready. "If you're not ready in 5, you're not starting."

"Sorry, I'll be ready," Tyler said and dropped his bag on the bench. Without further ado he pulled his shirt off and threw it in his locker.

"You might wanna get that taped up Lockwood," the Coach said dryly as he saw a scratch mark on Tyler's back.

"Uh?" Tyler twisted to see nail marks along the back of his ribs, "Shit," he muttered. This would be healed by the time the game was over, but Damon had been pretty demanding that morning- before he started throwing up against that was. "It'll be fine," he muttered and pulled his shoulder pads and jersey over his head.

Tyler continued to get dressed as the coach went on about strategies and motivational speeches.

"- and I know all your girlfriends are out there in skimpy skirts and low cut tops, but try to keep your eyes on the ball- and on Tyler."

"Tyler wont have that problem, sir," Ryan shot teasingly.

The coach rolled his eyes, "Mr. Lockwood I'm sure appreciates beauty in all it's forms. If there ever was a true canine in the pack..."

Tyler felt his inner wolf's hackles rise at the thought of stepping out on his mate. But instead of letting his temper go he just snorted, "Sorry to disappoint coach, but I've only got eyes, cock and heart for one beauty. You boys can keep your cheerleaders," he said with a cheeky wink.

"Good answer," came from the doorway.

Tyler's wolf settled immediately as Damon came within his sight. The vampire looked truly adorable. His skin was dewy, if a little on the pale side, and his lips swollen and deep red. His hair was tousled and curly along the edges, giving Damon a more youthful look than his original 22 years. Rather than his usual all black, he was wearing Tyler's off white cashmere sweater. It was too big, but it made Tyler's heart beat quicken.

"Hey Mr. Salvatore," the players chorused, following the unspoken agreement that during school hours, he was Mr. Salvatore, and outside they were free to call him Damon.

"Wipe the drool off your chins boys, we've got a game to win," he said and rallied the players out the door. Tyler hung behind and was about to steal a quick kiss, but rather than the softest best tasting skin in the world, his lips met paper. "Hold it there lover boy," the coach said, "Reward is for after the game," he said and swatted the young werewolf at the back of the head with his board, "Salvatore will be on the bench with me. Now keep your head in the game Lockwood, quarterback needs to think with head no. 1."

"Yes sir," he said and stepped past the coach. He winked at Damon, who just rolled his eyes.

The game was nothing short of brutal. Damon knew that Tyler had broken many bones during the game. But it wasn't Tyler he was worried about. His wolf healed.

Frankly, it was the opposing team. Tyler was being merciless, nearly savage. The rain and the mud did not help. Several players had gone off the field already as a result of Tyler's unparalleled strength.

The whistle went for a break and Damon could see, if not hear, Tyler's roar of fury as he took his helmet off and threw it to the ground. His jersey was torn almost clean off and his muscled were rippling under his skin.

The state finals was a pretty big deal in these parts and there were tv stations and screens rigged up for the crowds. The cameras were currently aimed at Tyler's prowling form.

"Despite the Mystic Falls Wolves leading the game, Captain and quarterback Tyler Lockwood seems in a less than stellar mood. Having put several Crows out of commission, this young man is one brutal alpha wolf -"

Tyler was pissed. Never had he been so furious. The others were angry as well, but few could match the temper of the wolf. Stefan being one exception.

Tyler's and Damon's relationship was no secret,, had not been for a while, and due to Tyler's status as the mayors son and quarterback, and Damon's position as teacher and council member and general wealthy bachelor, the news had spread pretty quickly. The players of the other team had taken it upon themselves to be rather vocal about their opinions.

The coach went straight to Damon, "What's wrong with you Lockwood? You can't put the entire team in the ER!"

Tyler just snarled at the old man and was about to reply as his chin was grabbed and Damon's blue eyes bored into his gold ones. "Calm the fuck down Tyler" he hissed. "You don't want them wanting to test you for steroids. It will destroy your chances with the scouts."

"I don't fucking care," Tyler snarled, "All they do is fucking talk shit about you and call me names -" he yelled over the cheering of the crowds. "I fucking -"

"Rise above it," Damon said, putting his hands on Tyler's shoulders "you're Tyler Lockwood. They're no one. Nothing. To you- or to us. Just win this game. Crush their spirits and their pride, but not their bones. They wont heal Tyler -"

"Lockwood!" The coach yelled, cutting off the vampire. "Get a hold of yourself -"

"It's all about the touchdowns," Damon said, pulling Tyler down, pressing their foreheads together gently, "All about the touchdowns."

Tyler's eyes were still a clear shade of gold as he stroke with determined steps back onto the field, letting out an angry roar which was echoed by his team mates who followed him.

The rest of the game was just a football genocide. The Wolves never gave the Crows a chance. Tyler was a tank.

Damon just watched from the sidelines, yelling instructions - as the coach picked up on that it seemed Tyler could pick up his lover's voice without any trouble, despite the noise. Before they knew it, the game was over. They'd won.

As the team celebrated, they threw Tyler in the air. Damon accepted the hug from the coach, but his eyes never left his lover. As soon as Tyler's feel was back on the ground he made a beeline for Damon.

Damon smiled brightly, incredibly happy about the win -" Tyler you did it!-" Damon's eyes widened in shock as he was cut off by Tyler's lips on his, and his tongue down his throat.

Damon clung to Tyler as he was lifted off his feet.

If possible, the cheers got even louder.

His wolf was soaked in sweat and steam was rising from his skin into the cold air. Neither one noticed the cameras on them as they kissed.