Chp 10

Tyler was getting dressed for the Spring Fling. He was wearing a tux, but instead of a bow tie he was wearing a scarf thingy he had no idea what was called. His mother had casually suggested that now that he was eighteen he should adopt a slightly more... lordy look. He was, after all the heir to the estate and no longer a child.

He fiddled with the deep green satin in front of the mirror as his mother came in. "Oh honey, let me fix that for you," she said, putting down the white silk band on the dresser. Delicately she tied the lose knot and tucked it into his vest. "There you go," she said, looking satisfied. Then she reached for the silk band on the dressed, but Tyler stopped her.

"No."

"Why?"

Tyler bit his lip, "I'm gonna need a red one this year, mom."

Carol Lockwood's eyes narrowed, "Don't tell me it's someone like that Donovan girl, Tyler."

Tyler shook his head, "It's not. Although I'm not too sure you'll be pleased..."

"Older, younger, rich, poor, blonde, brunette?"

Tyler smiled cautiously, "Older, rich, brunet," he replied.

"How much older?" Carol asked suspiciously. Regardless of what her son though, she was not stupid, or blind. She noticed things. She'd noticed her sons interest in a certain council member...

"Just a couple of years."

"Have we met?"

"Yes."

"Do I like this person?" she asked, purposefully not specifying a gender.

"Yes."

"Then why should I be displeased?" she asked and steeled herself for the answer she suspected.

Tyler took a shaky breath, wondering if this was a good idea. He took another deep breath, decided he might as well get it over with. If anything, his mother cared about the public image of the family and would not let his father beat him to a pulp on the night of the ball. "Because it's... it's Damon Salvatore."

Carol closed her eyes and took a deep shaky breath, "I see..." she said. She exhaled and straightened her back. "I will not pretend I am pleased about this, Tyler," she said.

Tyler nodded, having predicted his mother's disapproval.

Carol's eyes softened as she saw her sons resigned sadness. "But I suppose if this is the situation, which I am not narrow minded enough to believe you can change at will, you could not have chosen a finer man than Damon Salvatore," she said. She gave Tyler a nod of approval. "He has proven himself to this town, and to your father. He is a good man," she paused. "I pray for your happiness Tyler. And if Damon is the one to make you find happiness, then you have my blessing," she said firmly. Of course, she kept in mind that Damon was a seasoned vampire hunter. If anyone could keep her only child safe, it would be him.

"Mom," Tyler was speechless, "Thank you..."

Carol smiled a small smile, and took her own red ribbon and tied it on her sons arm, "Do not thank me yet. I have no idea of what your father will say."